Flooring - suitable underlay for vinyl flooring

tigertim20, Jul 30, 6:19am
We are looking at getting vinyl put in our kitchen and dining room. Its currently carpeted, and the people we have had around to do quotes have said that the original surface underneath isnt suitable for vinyl, and will need something put over i so that they can lay the vinyl.

They have suggested hardwood, however I have done some searching and there is a lot of advice online suggesting that 5 or 6mm ply is a far better option.

I have a couple questions.

Is ply something vinyl can be laid onto?

is there any reason I cant do the job of putting ply (or hardwood) down myself?

are there any issues or legalities etc that I might need to be wary of?

Hope this is in the right section, and I hope someone is able to offer advice. TIA!

pete48, Jul 30, 6:49am
Hardboard would be best option. Fixed down with a gazillion nails. If you choose to do the underlay yourself, the flooring contractor will inevitably not put any warranty on the install. If you do it yourself, make sure it's done correctly. Peter

tweake, Jul 30, 7:11am
depends on what vinyl/lino your going to use.
for the thin lino it needs to be perfect, any bumps etc will show.
but if you use the backed vinyl, you can put that stuff down on almost anything. it hides the imperfections quite well.

cagivachick1, Jul 30, 7:32am
actually you are wrong there, if the vinyl layer lays vinyl over hardboard put down by owner he is deemed to have accepted it as suitable to go over so it becomes his baby, This will be the reason he will want to do the prep himself

tigertim20, Jul 30, 8:19am
so is that a no to plywood as an option?

cagivachick1, Jul 30, 9:47am
hardboard would be better as ply can delaminate

kiwinz04, Jul 30, 11:04am
Minimum 4.75mm thickness hardboard. 1220x915 Masonite sheets are the easiest and best quality to work with. Shiny side up. Fixings 100mm & 50mm at joins & edges, punch all protruding fixings just below surface

tigertim20, Jul 31, 2:59am
thanks kiwinz04. so easy enough job to do yourself? we have th money for the lino and carpet for the whole house but if we have to pay someone else to do the work, then we cant afford it.

hubby is very handy, does all his own mechanical work and the like.

johotech, Jul 31, 4:52am
There is a water resistant ply designed for laying vinyl. Housing corp specify it for their vinyl jobs. I have no idea where to get it and I couldn't find it on google. Vinyl layer supplied it for my last job.

tweake, Nov 8, 3:51pm
bit of a catch22.
for lino i would use a pro as it shows any mistakes.

what sort of home do you have?
what sort of finish do you need?
what sort of floor is it?

if you havn't got the $$ for the pro's then why are you after an absolutely top finish? why not use a different product, not quite the same finish but hubby can do it. depending on house/lifestyle you may not notice the difference.