A Tiling question.

tmenz, Jul 20, 5:06am
I am fixing a row of tiles along the wall at the back of a granite sink bench between the bench and the windowsill above.
The spaces between the tiles and the long space between the tile tops and the sill will be grouted and the grout will be sealed as usual.
Should the long space between the bottoms of the tiles and the granite bench top be grouted or filled with a sealant (silicone or whatever)?
The benchtop is silicone sealed against the wall.

bluecat1529, Jul 20, 5:56am
Use silicone or one of the coloured tiling sealants available from the tile shop. If you put a rigid filler like grout between the two different surfaces it can crack and fall out if there is any movement

cabrio1, Jul 20, 6:27am
Mask it off carefully and use the advise above.
Might pay to remove existing silicone, allow more adhesion for the tile filler which should be similar silicone type base.

cagivachick1, Jul 20, 7:10am
no need for that just silicone between the bench and tiles and also between the window sill and tiles

johotech, Jul 20, 7:20am
The bottom (to the bench) and top (to the underside of the windowsill) joints should be sealed with the correct type of tile sealer.

zak410, Jul 20, 7:40am
. Masking is so last century, now this is how it's done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idzezmW6URU

johotech, Jul 20, 7:43am
Yeah that works well. But the guy in that video is pretty rough applying the silicone.

zak410, Jul 20, 7:46am
#7 yeah I noticed that too!
but the dishwashing and icecream stick is the way to go.

cabrio1, Jul 20, 8:10am
Yeah and when the stick dives into the gap between the tiles slodges it up yer crack, then what.
Wipe it all out mask it up and away you go.
Just like the fastidious fella that did my tiling showed me. Took forever but looks 100% perfect.
It's tiles not a sink.

tmenz, Jul 20, 10:20am
OK, Thanks for all the advice - now to put it into practice.

tmenz, Jul 21, 1:01am
Pak-n-Save sell iceblock sticks in packets of 52 for about $2 - saves having to eat all those iceblocks and risk brain freeze.

tmenz, Jul 21, 3:39am
A supplementary question:
I have a choice between two brands for the silicone sealant:
1. Dunlop Ultra White Coloured Flexible Silicone Sealant (which supposedly colour matches the grout)
2. Selleys 'White for Life' Brilliant White Wet Area Silicone Sealant.

They appear to be pretty much the same product - the Selleys is slightly cheaper!
Should I prefer one over the other?

cagivachick1, Jul 21, 6:20am
ifr your using dunlop grout use the dunlop silicone, my preference is Mapei

tmenz, Jul 21, 11:35pm
OK.

louisen, Aug 2, 3:41am
think everyone has failed to mention that the silicone needs to be neutral cure.

johotech, Nov 7, 7:41am
Hasn't been mentioned because that would be wrong.