Apple Tree Hanging on to it's Apples!

mamabiff, May 26, 6:27am
My Fuji apple tree has had a bumper crop of large apples. Usually it starts dropping them in February and a few did. I harvested quite a few but ran out of storage room. In the mean time the rest are still on the tree and haven't dropped. Any idea why this would be so? I have never had them hang on for this long?

wheelz, May 26, 6:41am
Cos it's been warmer than normal

katelin1, Jun 13, 9:23am
Fuji is a late season variety - harvest in Nelson in April - so it's not that surprising. As above, because it's been warmer than normal the tree is probably holding onto it's leaves longer. This cold snap will encourage leaf drop and fruit drop.

mack77, Dec 17, 10:55am
I don't see that you have a problem unless the birds are getting at them. I only picked mine about two weeks ago. I leave them until they are very ripe so that they become super sweet. If it is a young tree or only has a small crop(e.g. due to excessive thinning of the fruitlets) the fruit will be large, which is good in my opinion.
I store mine (200kg) in an apple bin outside under some trees(i.e. my "cool store") and they keep well(crisp) until the weather warms up in about October.
If any go rotten I just throw them away as I store more than I can eat.
I'm near Motueka; it would be a different situation in a warm climate like say Auckland.