Gas Fire make & model recomendations.

stuttek, Apr 2, 7:36am
.we are doing an extension and are wanting to install a gas fireplace (we don't currently have any gas so will need to run it from external bottles) any recommendations of makes / models and a fair price for ducked types! Any advice on what brands are the most economical!

russ18, Apr 2, 7:38am
Lol at ducked - do you mean ducted as in ducted central heating!

stuttek, Apr 2, 7:40am
I thought I could trust spell check, obviously not! Not central heating no, just ducting through the roof to an outlet or two at the other end of the house.

russ18, Apr 2, 7:46am
Well a heater that has ducts to other rooms is a central heater, if you are thinking of a gas fire in the lounge and a heat transfer system to heat other rooms it's not going to work.

stuttek, Apr 2, 7:49am
Obviously I know nothing, hence my interest in finding out. All I know is we want a gas fire and when we inquired they said "this one we can duct to transfer the heat to other parts of the house" we thought that sounds good and just want to know more, If it is called central heating that is good to know, the only central heating I have seen though has vents in the floor blowing up the warm air but as the heat will be transferred into the current house which has a concrete floor I guess they can do it through the roof! Can you help with any advice!

russ18, Apr 2, 7:55am
Running on bottles is expensive so what I would go for is maximum efficiency (not a decorative fire) and zoned so I can heat only the areas of the house I want or heat different areas to different temps - e.g. a Braemar system 4, 5 or 6 star rated depending on what efficiency rating you want to pay for.

stuttek, Apr 2, 8:06am
We were looking at efficiency as well as decorative, were thinking of a Rinnai Symmetry 3611 or an Escea DL850 or IB Series.

russ18, Apr 2, 8:28am
Generally decorative = average performance at best.

smalltrader2, Apr 2, 8:40am
For ducted system, you might want to consider Brivis. It is a central heating system with electronic thermostat control. You can even set up zoned areas. Not cheap but it is an investment in comfort. A properly installed & maintained central gas heating system could easily last 15 years or more.

stuttek, Apr 2, 8:41am
All we want is something that looks good and does a good job. We dont want something hideous looking that does an awesome job all round. Best of both. Any ideas on a make and model!

guest, Oct 10, 2:20am
Yeah, where does PG&E get off trying to updrgae their own equipment? This capitalism stuff is ridiculous, and private companies that provide invaluable services shouldn't be able improve their products! We need the government to run electrical utilities b/c they are much more efficient, aas proven in all other facets, ie USPS, Social Security, EPA, Medicare. Give me a break! God forbid one of the largest utilities in the nation try and provide a better service to its millions of customers, while be coming more green . You commi's can't have it both ways. By the way, what substantial accredited research has been done to support any of these anti-smart meter claims. It seems to me that the majority of studies conclude the meters are safe, yet these protesters continue to gin up fear in the hopes of their own empowerment. I mean think, who heard of this douche Josh Hart? This guy is an unemployed nobody, who is probably been on EDD assistance for the full 3 years, living off of the tax payers. Meanwhile, he's out building his own brand. An ego maniac who's skewed information for his own self-engrandizement, and power over hippie putty brains that have been living in homes with all kinds of RF. Yet, the meter on the outside of their home has caused immeasurable damage. Or, was it all of the drugs you guys did in the 60 s and 70 s? Hats off to Josh Hart, he's going to get rich on the backs of PG&e, and all of you wack jobs who call for progress, yet hate it when it arrives. No matter what PG&E does you guys will be mad, get a hobby.

guest, Oct 11, 8:34am
Apr06 I grew up in Austin, moved away for school and lived ouditse of the DC area, and ended up moving back, and am so glad I'm here. DC isn't as expensive as CA, but we also moved back in hopes of finding a house and a great place to raise a family, and I think Austin definitely fits the bill.I could probably go on and on, but I'll just put a few thoughts here:the public transportation system is fledgling at best, so unfortunately we have fewer neighborhoods that are walkable than more established areas (like maybe you are used to). the walkable, central neighborhoods (Hyde Park, Bryker Woods, Bouldin, Clarksville) tend to have older, smaller houses (with some new stuff interspersed) and are in high demand. even as an austin native with family in the area, i moved into an apartment here with a 6 month lease (did so at the Gables there are many locations around town) and looked for houses. we ended up buying in Northwest Hills/Far West, and we love it. it's a 10 minute drive to downtown, we were able to get a 2nd bathroom at a price we could afford, and we are on a cul de sac with neighbors we see often (block parties every few months, etc.) there are some families but also elderly couples and some college student housing.some other neighborhoods that seem to have lots of families are: brentwood, crestview, and barton hills. good luck!

guest, May 31, 1:58am
Apr10Lynn Well I live in Round Rock which is about 20-25 minutes north of dwnotwon. I love it here! The west side has the majority of the exemplary schools. I don't know what your budget is but there are a lot of beautiful communities that are kid-friendly & affordable. My husband & I are actually thinking about moving to the west side for those reasons. I have several friends & family that live in the Teravista (golf course) community. VERY KID FRIENDLY. Some areas have get-togethers which is basically a huge neighborhood playdate. They have a brand new elementary school, super close to a lot of shopping areas such as the outlet mall which is a hop & a skip away & minutes from the 35. We would have moved there ourselves, but we have not found a floorplan that fits our needs. But I don't think you can really go wrong in Central Texas. People here are wonderful & friendly & for the most part, education seems to be a top priority. Good Luck!