Cleaning silver trophy cups

kiwijo, Nov 13, 6:06pm
The sulphur in the air in Rotorua causes trophies to tarnish really quickly.Does anyone know of a good way to remove the tarnish fairly easily.I have scrubbed it with toothpaste and that has cleaned it up pretty well, but it still doesn't look overly clean.Is there some sort of cleaning dip or household product that will make it look better!

leonie11, Nov 13, 6:18pm
i actually just cleaned out silver cutlery last night, easy as, put tin foil in bottom of sink, through in a handfulof washing soday and pour on boiling/hot water, place in silver and wait a few moments, the tin foil turns black and the silver is clean, so fast and easy.

kiwijo, Nov 13, 6:37pm
Thanks for that!Washing soda . is that like laundry powder!

marlin9, Nov 13, 8:07pm
x1
@kiwi - washing soda is not laundry powder - but is found in the laundry isle at supermarket.the a bove is an old trick.

kiwijo, Nov 13, 9:02pm
Thank you !I will go shopping :-D

whitehead., Nov 13, 10:45pm
you can also clean with a soft cloth and a little olive oil which leaves a slight cover on the silver it might help

ninya, Nov 13, 11:19pm
You can buy silver polish, and it's very effective and doesn't require much elbow grease.After doing this you might get away with baking soda and tinfoil combo.
update - I haven't looked for years, but used to be available with cleaning products at the supermarket.

shanreagh, Nov 14, 1:14am
The silver polish used to be called 'Silvo' or 'Goddards Silver plate powder' and would be in cleaning part of supermarket if still available.

jofes, Nov 14, 3:09am
I have read where you use salt and balls of tinfoil not washing soda :)

kiwijo, Nov 14, 11:56pm
Does this method get rid of the existing tarnish, or is it a protection for after the existing tarnish is gone!

sofphie, Nov 15, 4:56am
tinfoil and washing soda work brilliantly!

gj, Nov 15, 7:34am
NEVER ever use toothpaste to clean silver - it is far too abrasive and will wear away the silver and make it dull. The Aluminium (Tinfoil) dip method works but may also leave the surface dull. Here's the method I got from an expert:
"Wash the silver first in hot water and dishwashing liquid to remove any grease residue. Line a bowl with Aluminium foil (or use an aluminum pot) and fill with hot water. Add 1tsp of salt and 1 tablespoon of washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) for each 2 litre of water plus a couple of drops of detergent. Put in the silver making sure it all makes contact with the Aluminium. After half an hour or when it looks clean, take out and wash with clean hot water and polish dry with a soft cloth. You should then polish with a silver protective polish or silver cloth, otherwise the surface will tarnish even more quickly. Make sure no solution remains in any hollow parts.
You can use Baking soda (Sodium Bi-carbonate) instead of washing soda but its not as effective.

carlosjackal, Nov 3, 4:40pm
SILVO - available from supermarkets.