Gutter cleaning

kcc55a, Jan 23, 1:03am
Its a real mission to do at our place(mainly cos we are getting too old to be climbig around on rooves.so thinking of using one of the gutter guard products either the mesh or the bristles. Which is the easier to fit and which is the most effective! - Have lots of trees on neighbouring properties so get quite a few leaves and pine needles.

rsr72, Jan 23, 3:09am
Bristles will block up quicker than mesh if you have lots of winter leaves as the leaves break down and rot, blocking the gutters.
You will still need to clean out the gutters with either.
A steep pitch roof lessens the problem as the leaves don't accumulate on the leaf guards.

cantabman1, Jan 23, 3:29am
I have recently fitted the worst areas with the bristles to stop it blocking up and notice a few broken down leaves have gone thru, but its still flows ok.
They are not cheap, but i personally think its worth while.
We have many trees around all our section including the dreaded silver birch.

amasser, Jan 23, 5:14am
The most effective type was tested as the rectangular, plastic sheets (about 500mm. long) that clip into gutters - made by Hills, I think. More expensive than a roll of "Gutter Guard' but worked better.
Consider installing an outlet (those diverting things - forget the name) on the down-pipe if you still need to flush the gutters - saves gunk going into drains.

texastwo, Jan 23, 9:37am
Believe me Pohutus are as bad.

ro42, Jan 23, 4:29pm
I have a problem as I'm on a bush section with lots of native beech. I've used mesh and the bristle things in the gutters. I foundthe damp leaves stuck to them making the gutters spill and they blocked quickly, so I took them out again - waste of money for me. Best solution I found was a gutter attachment for the water blaster - makes cleaning the gutter much easier!

elect70, Jan 24, 4:41am
I have same problem & pohutakawasmake a real mess&marine banksiaswith their cones& i am on tank supply . Iput mesh on thedown pipe outlet to the tank & cleaned it every week . Helped butwater still tastesbrackish .Still have toclean the gutters once a year of built uproten vegetation.

rsr72, Feb 5, 9:53pm
#5- Dreaded Elms and Oaks here.
Gutters need cleaning out four times a year.