Are there any plants that flourish in sand?

venna2, Jan 20, 10:21pm
I have a sandpit that my grandchildren seldom play in, and am thinking of getting rid of it. It was here when I bought the house and has wooden surrounds. I could spread the sand randomly in the rest of the garden, but before I do that . are there any plants that would really like a sandy soil, or practically pure sand!

ninya, Jan 20, 10:47pm
There must be a few natives that grow on beach dunes that would like that environment.

stevee6, Jan 20, 11:26pm
Senecio, hebes, flax(phormiums), prostrate coprosmas. If you plant most things with a bit of compost and mulch when you plant, they adapt well to a really sandy site. We've done that with NZ natives as we live on a sand dune for all intents and purposes, and the plants flourish.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 20, 11:39pm
South African natives do too, as do some of the Australians. And of course the cacti and succulents love a bit of hot and dry, as do beach grasses.

dangerousdave8, Jan 20, 11:53pm
bearded irises like it dry and like good drainage so i dont see why you couldnt grow them too.

venna2, Jan 21, 12:13am
Thanks folks, some good ideas.

countrybumpkinz, Jan 21, 12:16am
I have Cosmo's growing in a wide path that is all sand.Self seeded from plants last season that were in the garden, flowering nicely.

lythande1, Jan 21, 3:10am
SUre, take a look at your nearest beach - some things do OK in it.

skyblue17, Jan 21, 3:11am
Asparagus.!

edjill41, Jan 21, 5:58am
Anything with silver leaves- Lambs' ears are great. Yes to cosimos, lavenders, artemis, lavatera, catnip. Having lived at the beach for years, I have learned!

milkybar4, Jan 21, 9:11pm
also all succulents and cactuses. i used to live on beach and i had suculents and trees that grow on beachs like pahutakawa and my garden was awesome : ) you can mix in soil if you want to to make it a wee bit more suitable to more things too.

you can type in succulent garden to google images and all these cool ideas come up :) also with succulents they grow from cuttings so you dont have to buy all the expensive ones. i just pinch a leaf or a cutting off friends or when going walking lol

paulap, Feb 2, 1:01pm
My vege garden is in an old sandpit. I just added some compost etc to it.