Cats and gardens

Page 1 / 2
survivorr, Jan 20, 1:39am
Suggestions welcome please on how to deter cats from being attracted to my garden.:o)

liggy2, Jan 20, 1:40am
Sprinkle cayenne pepper where the cat is going - it works wonders, and its cheap.

survivorr, Jan 20, 1:53am
Thx - will do.It's quite a big garden but I'll give it a go around the borders.

mottly, Jan 20, 2:21am
I use white vinegar - keeps all my cats out :)

tonijo, Jan 20, 4:09am
some say sheep pellets work - they don't in my garden.I use them liberally, but the cats still visitlol

stevee6, Jan 20, 5:10am
Keep the garden well planted - no areas of dug over ground left bare, or if you have to, water it well.

survivorr, Jan 20, 5:45am
Actually.come to think of it.ground cover.so thank you!I should've thought of it before.

stevee6, Jan 20, 5:50am
That's what we're here for, to help jog ideas.

patsprat, Jan 20, 5:59am
A packet of kitchen skewers, bamboo, cut in half and poked in the garden pointy end up around the plants you want to protect or in bare areas.Put them quite close together and at odd angles.Works well for me, no cats!

survivorr, Jan 20, 6:55am
It's quite a long garden with some trees growing (Griselina sp!) and so gaps in between those so probably wouldn't work for me.I think I'll go for the ground shade - will take a while but I'll get some fast growing ones.I don't mind the wait.Anything would be better than what I have to deal with at the present moment.

pugswal, Jan 20, 6:56am
Orange peel cut up and scattered about. You will have to put fresh peel out every few days. Works for us!

lindi4, Jan 20, 8:45am
Theres a spray you can buy and mix in a sprayer and spray it around the garden it doesnt kill the plants and it works.

aloha3, Jan 20, 8:18pm
Citrus peel has worked well for me this year.

survivorr, Jan 21, 6:26pm
I've ended up "trialling" fine mesh (you can barely see it) and will sew some perennial ground cover when the summer heat goes.Will definitely try the citrus peel as from today as well.All ideas much appreciated.

Oh and I'm not anti cats - just fed up with this nice garden being used as a toilet - my own cat no doubt being one of the offenders.Well.no MORE.:o)

secretmissy1, Jan 22, 1:05am
natural mulch chip is good for garden plants and cats dislike it as they find it uncomfortable to paw at.Unfortunately though my cats have migrated to my vege plot now all the garden is mulched.

kinna54, Jan 22, 2:19am
Crushed up mothballs.best solution I have found.dig the area over and water the area first to dilute any smells. then just sprinkle the mothballs. It works. as does the citrus peel, (you have to put it on thick tho, and it can kill off the worms) and also if the garden is a raised bed rub the cut side of a lemon around the edges.

lythande1, Jan 22, 2:21am
So, if you own one, you would know they like soft, easy dig patches.
make one separate for them and they will leave the garden alone.
They don't really like all the plants in it you know.

welshdude, Jan 23, 10:18am
Buy a paintball gun on trademe and let the blighters know they are not welcome.

ginta, Jan 24, 8:09am
Agree, I net my seeds and seedlings, we have raised beds and it is easy to do, once the plants are growing well, I remove the net, the cats dont go there, not nicely turned soil anymore. I was a little fed up with my carrots being thinned by paws.

ashpot, Jan 24, 12:26pm
Put a photo of Gareth Morgan in your garden.

survivorr, Jan 25, 7:27pm
Agree.And the fine mesh I've put down is working 100%.Seems to me to be the only real answer.

duffpot, Jan 25, 9:46pm
google : CatStop - Easytekit is brilliant no sign of a cat since the day I put the battery in. It really does work.

wizid, Jan 25, 11:36pm
rattraps

pestri, Jan 25, 11:47pm
I dug some coffee grounds in a month or so back and haven't seen cat crap in there since,We used to have quite a problem, so if anyone tries it with success , post yr results here please!

hobgoblin9, Mar 1, 10:36pm
Get a fierce dog