Chicken manure on gardens

treens2, Nov 3, 4:38pm
Setting up new flower gardens, have some chicken manure that is about 5 years old and has been sitting outside had thoughts about mixing some in with the soil in new garden plots. Know chicken manure is very strong, keen to hear from people that have used chicken manure in there gardens. Many thanks.

survivalkiwi, Nov 3, 6:30pm
We put about 100mm of sawdust under our chooks. About every six months we replace it and spread the old stuff over our vegy gardens.
And after a few weeks we dig it in. We have a great garden.
Also we place about two inches of sawdust under the roost. That gets pulled out and replaced each week and also goes on the garden as does the straw from the laying boxes.
I don't think your old poo will be a problem

malcovy, Nov 3, 8:43pm
I would be putting it all over the garden with abandon, nothing to worry about when it is that aged. I still put fresh hen manure on my garden as I have hens. I do make sure its not near the vegie plant.

amph981, Nov 4, 12:18pm
I have two compost bins one near back door for house green garbage and one up the back for chook house and vege garden waste and I have just taken beautiful tilth from chook one and dug in to vege patch and planted it out, great stuff. Have heard if too much puts in too much nitrogen but, which produces too much green leaf growth don't know if thats true but grows lovely veges,

pisces47, Feb 19, 10:52am
Excuse for butting in. Where is the closed place to Massey in West Auckland to get a load of chicken manure. Thanks