Watered sheep/horse manure for feeding plants

b1anca, Nov 1, 6:44am
I am wanting to "feed 'my plants but they are already established - would it be ok to water down the manure and water them with that and have the same effect!

beebb3, Nov 1, 9:01am
Guess you could, altho may pay to have it well watered down. Why not just put it around your plants/ garden! but avoid placing it too close to plant stems/trunks. I use fresh horse manure, don't have time to collect it in the paddock, dump it, let it rot down, then go back with the wheelbarrow and collect again! just double work. Used fresh manure for over 20 years in my garden, never had a death, best thing ever, helps mulch and build up good soil, brings in the worms too. Doesn't take long to break down. Mind you, my horses are hard fed, so the birds have usually broken it up before I shovel it into the barrow, so not left with 'balls' all over, and if they bake in the sun, can take longer to break down.

flier3, Nov 1, 8:20pm
In the past, I have used a large plastic barrel (water diverted from the shed downpipe) especially for this:Throw a bucket of sheep pellets into the water, leave for a bit (say, a week), then use directly on to the garden.Worked a treat for me.Good luck, happy gardening!

matthews4, Nov 1, 8:34pm
I collect cow poo, and add to water drum.Also add Comfrey and seaweed if I find it.Used to make separate drums, now just use a mixture.put some in bucket, top up with water and water on garden.

harrislucinda, Nov 1, 9:24pm
ihaveabagofscrapesandacowpatwrappedin anoldnet curtainin abucketofwaterStartedbefore thewinterso nowwaterdownandfeedplants

b1anca, Nov 25, 6:58am
Just watered my plants FINALLY with this - will be interested to see how they go! Had 2 bagsful and have only used one at this point in time

steptoesnr, Nov 19, 6:09pm
Your average animal manure is in stark reality recycled pasture/plant material minus the nutrients the animal that consumed the pasture kept for it's own growth and survival. Your average compost is made up of recycled plant material minus only what you may have kept as 'crop' and in 99% of cases is 'stronger' (i.e.- contains more nutrients than animal manures). No-one dilutes compost before adding it to the garden. Why in the world would you want to dilute animalmanure! It is a dogma/mantra with no basis in fact or logic whatsoever. Do as I have done and run a test with a row (or whatever) with some animal manure direct and some diluted down and you will very quickly see logic.