Gardens, poverty etc. Green Expo.

junie2, Aug 12, 10:18pm
Further to bergkamp's thread on fruit trees in suburbia. as I walked around the Green Expo here in Chch today I was really pleased to see lots ( as in hundreds ) of young families eager to be "greener". I was a bit disappointed though with the emphasis on selling - bee-wraps, organic juices/soaps/yoghurt/makeup, cloth-bags and water filters etc. To me being green is about making do, making your own, buying less, and yes, growing-our-own. Unless I missed it, I saw no seeds or seedlings or trees at all. There was a stall about bokashi. I have this old-fashioned idea that to get away from waste and save money, we need to reduce spending and grow easy things - like bergkamp's fruit trees and simple vege crops. It's not going to wipe out poverty, but every bit helps and there's the issue of feeling pride when you harvest from your own efforts. If Green Expo people are reading this, please think about some easy-peasy no-dig garden demos, basic compost systems, heritage seeds. fruit tree grafting and espaliering to make good use of space. What else can we suggest?

lythande1, Aug 13, 8:27am
So if you can't pay the bills, how does fruit help?

dottyone1, Aug 13, 9:06am
It is food. ie stewed fruit better than tinned also is a one of 5 vege a day

also natural sugar just a thought whole stree

samanya, Aug 13, 6:11pm
I didn't know about the green expo & I was in the city today . damn!
I hear you junie . families wanting to grow their own fruit /veges don't need organic juices, yoghurt make up etc.
Basic demos on 'no dig' gardens for veges would be a start . simple way to get a vege garden going. Small raised planter boxes, or demos on how to make them . composting demos etc . basic stuff for learner gardeners would be more informative. I've never heard of it before, so is this a first? Maybe with time it will develop?

junie2, Oct 8, 12:48am
It was a council-supported affair samanya. The venue was perfect ( Wigram Airforce Museum ) with plenty of parking etc. I certainly hope it will happen again. There was good stuff like solar heating too, I forgot to mention, but yes, practical demos would have lifted the game I think, for me anyway. Def good crowds I hear. we went on the Sun arvo and there lots of people then even. Wasn't too impressed with depleted food selection - nothing appealed, to have with a coffee at 2pm. I guess that'll be better next time too.