Chili plants wilting and turning brown

clairewithi, Jan 6, 3:05am
Hi,

I bought four chili plants and potted two of them into a new pot. The organic potting mix I used had some mold on the bark bits, it was a white mold. I decided to use the mix anyway but the two chili plants now have brown spot, one chili fruit has gone brown on one side and the leaves are curling up and looking like they are wilting.

I am not yet blaming this on the potting mix as there are other things that I have been doing that may have contributed to their state.

All four plants (two healthy and two sick looking) are kept in one of those little greenhouse things covered in plastic (about waist high). It has been really warn and inside this it gets humid. They have been watered morning and the soil at night. The temperature inside this has raised to around 40c at the most. I figured these plants like full sun and hot conditions. I may be wrong.

Does anyone know why these plants could be like this (I can post photos somewhere if you like) and how you should tend to chili plants to make them a success!

I really need your help as I have just brought home the worlds hottest chili plants the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. I CAN'T let this one get sick.

lythande1, Jan 6, 3:16am
Hard to say without pics.
See here:
http://harvesttotable.com/2009/05/pepper_troubleshooting/

I don't like the sound of the white mould, best to use your own compost in future.
And 40 degrees! Yeah they like warmth, but that's getting too hot.
Treat them like tomatoes, 40 degrees is when Australia catches fire.

clairewithi, Jan 6, 3:32am
Ok, thanks. Will look into the link.

stevee6, Jan 6, 3:39am
I'd certainly be taking the cover off, and how often are you watering them! Is the water tap water or rain water, and how cold!

clairewithi, Jan 19, 3:10pm
tap water and a small bit in the morning. just regular warm hose water. It is funny as I bought another one yesterday. Put it in the green house with the door open all day and its leave a soft and droopy but now damaged in anyway. Almost what a dehydrated plant would look like but the soil is moist enough for a good drink.