Removing floor gunck

anne1955, Dec 30, 5:03am
I have a unit that at some stage has had foam backed carpet glued to it.lovely wooden floor boards There is semi gluie with some thing that looks like to old grey backing still there.I have tried a couple of things with out any luck fact on thing that has even left an oily residue it was suggested (sp) by a DIY store :( oil/or petrol based. a degreaser I hope I can eventually was this off and lucky maybe I have only done a small area.
I have tried Meths, nail polish remover, handy andy. think that's about it.I want to be able to get this muck off any ideas if I sand it then hole floor will need to be done!Worrying about changing colours in different places.The 'muck' is mainly around edges which are visable :(I am on very, very limited funds, and this is a Council Unit and no they now longer do flooring in units in fact they removed carpet that neighbours say was actually alright :(But I love wood so happy to do the work.Just need what to use.Thanks hope someone has done this and can help.Wondering if heat gun might fo it!Thanks AnneEdited for one spelling mistake :)

tillsbury, Dec 30, 5:05am
Wouldn't use a heat gun, that's not only probably going to create pretty noxious fumes but could well melt it further into the timber.Try a multi-tool with a blade scraper attachment, these are amazing at removing gunk from underneath old lino and similar really tough things to remove.But the real solution is to sand the floor.Are you not planning to do this anyway!

kp11, Dec 30, 7:24am
DeSolveIt -from Mitre 10 / Bunnings type stores.
I lifted 2 layers of glued on old lino using a wet rag & iron to loosen the lino glue first, That made it easy to peal off in sheets.Then sprayed sections on the floors with DeSolveIt, left it for 10 mins & the gunk just scraped off easy with a fish slice.
Non-toxic so not a prob if you doing it with cats trying to be helpful getting in the way :)
Doesnt stain the floorboards either.

anne1955, Dec 30, 6:03pm
Thanks for that people.Tillsbury I was hoping to get away with not having to sand it 98% of the floor is great and looks fine It's just a few bits around edges and door ways.

kp11I'll try and find some of that.I almost think that the guy that sold me the 'other' stuff said it wasn't made any more.maybe wrong.I'll look here in Dunedin and if I can't find it.I have a friend in chCh that's coming down soon so will get them to look as well.Thanks very much.

guest, Oct 9, 3:17pm
Rip out and redo by the time you skim coat(cleaning the tile real well 1st) and then redoing it and still risk the tescieoplng of the grout lines thru the vinyl it s not worth the risk but yes it can be done.. If it s new house to you redo it right when the money is right so it don t look like a mickey mouse jpb down the road and you ll end up redoing it.. If the carpet glue will come off and the tile is ok consider staining the grout to make it look good untill you can retile /vinyl whatever you want to do then, just don t rush into it GL

guest, May 28, 3:45am
you have to rip out all the cairmec tiles out first. The cairmec tiles will hold up better than the vinyl and will increase the house value over vinyl. IF a few are broken you can replace just those few. I would rethink what you are doing. I am an retired real estate broker. So trust me on the house value of vinyl vs cairmec.