Mouldey dusty stuff on my cucumber leaves

seller4, Dec 29, 1:08am
What should I spray with please!

bugin, Dec 29, 1:37am
This is powdery mildew .Remove the worst of the leaves and spray the rest with Bravo.
Read the instructions carefully and wear a mask and eye protection .Spray early when calm and cool.

cantabman1, Dec 29, 5:45am
Avoid watering your plants at night time, and water first thing in the mornings if you can.

bugin, Dec 29, 8:08am
Also use a soak hose or drippers on the ground to avoid wetting the leaves.

mustu, Dec 29, 8:47am
And now for the opposite advice! Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that flourishes when the weather is warm & dry. It does not like wet conditions so wetting the leaves reduces the severity of the attack. Add a few squirts of detergent so the water doesn't just run off the leaves. (Remove & burn affected leaves first.) I always give the leaves of my cucumbers & zucchini a good 'wash' frequently and have very little problem with powdery mildew.

bugin, Dec 29, 9:26am
If you are spraying regularly for powdery mildew ,wetting the plant will reduce the efficacy of sprays.

bugin, Dec 29, 9:39am
Adding detergent to sprays ,reduces the surface tension of the liquid and allows the coverage to improve .That is why it is called a "wetter"and why it increases run off.

canz, Dec 29, 10:51am
Better than any spay you have to your safety gear to use, using baking soda.

To control powdery mildew on plants, mix together:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water
Do not store unused mixture. While this recipe has been known to be effective, it can burn the leaves of some plants. It is recommended that you water your infected plants well a couple of days before applying this mixture, and don??

lcl2, Dec 29, 6:04pm
Remove the affected leaves and spray the plant with 1 part milk to 4 parts water,gets rid of the mildew butit will come back.I have it every year on my corgettes and cucumbers but still get a bumper crop on each.Failing that I just keep cutting the affected leaves off

lythande1, Jan 4, 8:13am
It won't hurt the veges, one of ours has it, the thing is over 8' tall now, still producing cucumbers like mad.
My zucchini has it too, it's not bothered either.