Lebanese cucumber

trah, Jan 3, 8:12pm
Does anyone else (in Auck) have trouble with their lebanese cucumbers failing to ripen.I have got many flowers on it that turn into tiny cucumbers, but they never develop from that and just shrivel.It is planted at the drip line of a lemonade tree and is kept watered.There is just one developing cucumber on the whole plant.

trah, Jan 5, 5:46am
Bumping for anyone having this experience.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 5, 6:31am
I've grown them fine in tauranga, over several years.If they're failing to ripen properly, my guess is lack of nutrients!Did you add compost and manure to the soil prior to planting!Are you planting in a pot or in the ground!

trah, Jan 5, 7:42pm
It's in the ground at the drip line of the lemonade tree, around which I have put a bricked circle then compost in every year.I did put sheep pellets under the leb cucumber plant too.I've got some Rooster Booster pellets - can I put those around and water in now, or is it too late!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 5, 8:09pm
does it get all day sun, or does the tree shade it!How is the soil, being in the drip line - is it not competing with the lemonade tree!

trah, Jan 5, 10:02pm
Pretty much all day sun, gonzo.It is planted about one and a half meters away from the trunk of the tree on the outer edge of the built up circle. That's what I was thinking - that the tree is robbing the plant.Maybe if I just load the fertiliser around it!

kaliyuga, Jan 6, 12:49am
more likely the cucumbers are not being pollinated and therefore have no reason to form. maybe it would do better with a companion!

kaliyuga, Jan 6, 1:05am
It is still early days for cucumbers, the first fruits often fail, but should improve as the plant gets older.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 6, 1:07am
+1.This is true.

eileenc2, Jan 6, 2:11am
My Lebanese cucs are in pots on my very hot sunny deck. I have had about half a doz very delicious cucs off them. I just have to make sure I keep them well watered so they don't shrivel in the heat.

lythande1, Jan 6, 3:17am
Yes, feed the pellets, but it sounds more like a pollination issue.
DIY pollination with a small brush and see how you go.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 6, 4:50am
If it was a pollination issue, they wouldn't be getting cucumbers in the first place.

trah, Jan 17, 3:11pm
No, can't be a pollination issue - the tiny cucumbers do form, then most of them don't develop.I see today that I have another that might grow on. I live in hopes!Thanks everyone.