Can you freeze cucumber?

reeb, Jan 24, 4:11am
got too much, either give it away or make soup, but i guess probably taste like crap.

malone4, Jan 24, 4:29am
freezing them turns them soggy once defrosted.
Try pickling them.MMmmmm

reeb, Jan 24, 4:30am
how you do that,! excuse my ignorance, sounds nice tho

malone4, Jan 24, 4:38am
Depending on your taste for pickles.

Try this link.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,how_to_pickle_cucumbers,FF.html

Mmmm, Im very much looking forward to pickling this year as my cucumbers are a plenty aswell

reeb, Jan 24, 4:58am
so where you get the jars and such or recepticles etc , second hand shops or.

mark_g, Feb 6, 7:01am
Jars/lids can be a number of types from a number of sources:
1) Can buy modern new preserving jars/lids from supermarkets and other places. Very Expensive.
2) Can reuse jam jars, pickle jars, any jar like these that have screw up sealing lids.
3) 2nd hand preserving jars e.g. Agee jars from 2nd hand shops, Sallys.etc, which you can still buy new sealing lids and screw bands for (cheap).

Jars should be cleaned, and roughly sterilised. Normally they are cleaned (washed/dried in the normal manner - in the sink or dishwasher), and sterilised in the oven (depending on your method of preserving) immediately prior to use.

Whatever the type, you only get a few uses out of the lid before it either 1) gets rusty, or 2) won't seal properly, and then must be thrown out. Most glass jars will last forever if not chipped or cracked.

We use a mix of jam/pickle type jars and Agee preserving jars. The jam/pickle jars are not huge and are good for well. jam and pickles etc. The Agee preserving jars are big (though there are half size jars) and are good for whatever you eat or preserve a lot of.

The jam/pickle jar lids have a plastic sealing skin under the metal on the underside. They are designed for a one-of use. We get away with maybe 2 or 3 re-uses of a craigs jam jar lid or any similar lid before the plastic layer wears through and it starts rusting. then it must be thrown out.

The lids for Agee preserving jars are available in most supermarkets, and again are designed for one use. Though we have got 2-3 uses when desperate. They are cheap.

A few 2nd hand dealers have told me that they notice they don't get as many boxes of old Agee preserving jars as they used to. And they think this is because nowadays, when mum or gran dies, the family will chuck the boxes of jars into the recycle bin rather than take it down to the nearest 2nd hand shop. But you can certainly still find them if you look.