Wheelbarrow Replacement

beachboy61, May 24, 11:11am
I'm looking at replacing my old wheelbarrow with a new one; probably looking at a contractors type model, but not sure whether to go for a steel tray or plastic?
My initial thought was for a steel tray, because I thought plastic was too light weight, but on testing the contractor model plastic seems quite strong.
The Tool Shed have both models which are about $100 cheaper than Bunnings other models, but I'm a bit concerned about one review of the Tool Shed barrows that says the legs were parallel and caused instability, however another reviewer said that was not a problem.
I'd appreciate recommendations from users of both types.

fatman08, May 24, 11:42am
Purchased a Greens w/barrow from Mitre 10 couple of years back. Opted for steel tray as wanted to mix some concrete. At the time thought the plastic trays looked & felt sturdy enough. I quite like the barrow seems well balanced, that's my opinion.

majoba, May 24, 12:40pm
Replaced a steel one with plastic, it was so much better and lasted way longer than steel .Definitely not too light weight for anything I used it for. Mixed a lot of concrete in it too. In fact is probably still doing great, I gave it away because the wheel rusted out and it was almost as much as a new barrow to replace the wheel.

lythande1, May 24, 3:00pm
Steel, plastic sure isn't a contracters barrow

beachboy61, May 24, 5:50pm

pauldw, May 24, 6:13pm
Some ply under the plastic reduces the chance of the bottom splitting if you dump something in the barrow. You might need longer bolts.

apollo11, May 24, 7:30pm
Plastic is fine. I buy the cheapo $80 wheel barrows from mitre 10 and they last for years. I just pack the hubs with grease first and keep them out of the sun when not being used, as the tyres can perish.

Edit: they now cost $100.

boby11, May 24, 8:34pm
I bought a wheelbarrow ,steel ,with a brake via a hand grip.Good on the hill to stop

tygertung, May 24, 11:22pm
Can you still get the NZ made ones? I got a plastic one and it is real tough. Better than steel.

nzshooter01, May 25, 7:10am
I agree, the heavy duty black plastic ones are great,

tygertung, May 25, 8:01am
These are the ones to get:

http://www.nzwheelbarrows.co.nz/

lythande1, May 25, 8:59am

apollo11, May 25, 9:11am
I know several builders, they all have the heavy duty plastic jobs.

coralsnake, May 25, 9:40am
Bought an assemble yourself plastic at Bunnings. Instructions followed until they then tell you to undo two bolts to add another part. Problem is you are supposed to be able to put it back together but no amount of squeezing can get the holes lined up with the bolts. Only way I can see it working is to drill new hole in to fit. Or take it to the dump!

amasser, May 25, 12:27pm
Was selling wheelbarrows some years ago and these were a superior quality.

trade_menow, May 25, 3:27pm
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/kiwi-garden-plastic-pourer-wheelbarrow-black-90l/R1208492.html

nothing wrong with it - thou was a PITA to assemble 6 years old and all its had is a rub down with a old oily rag and its tire pumped up

kiwimade64, May 25, 4:03pm
I bought our barrow for my husband for our 1st wedding anniversary. We've been married 36 years today and it is still going strong with original parts. It stays outside (tipped up so water can run out). So I say steel :P

ebygum1, May 25, 5:56pm
Try loosening all the bolts, put the two in place and then tighten all the bolts.

blueviking, Jul 23, 2:13am
Buy the plastic ones where the bolts do up under the tray, so if you have to mix in the tray, you're not hitting the bolts all the time