Removing old wallpaper

mrelijah, Oct 6, 8:32pm
How do you remove old 1980s wallpaper from gib board? I've tried spraying warm water on it but it doesn't budge.

Thanks in advance

realtrader1, Oct 6, 8:44pm
What type of wall paper is it? It sounds as though it will be vinyl. In this case you have to break through the vinyl coating in some way and then get the water into the paper backing to soften it. However, if the wallpaper is nice and firm I would look for a product that could be painted over it and then use new wallpaper (perhaps) with a slight embossing as may be needed.

kenw1, Oct 6, 8:48pm
I laughed at this when I first heard it, spray the wall with very warm mix of water and vinegar, it seems to break down the glue, dunno but it worked for me, also a steam stripper, for the wall paper will help move the job along, also a b good stripping knife makes a big difference, less damage and quicker.

kenw1, Oct 6, 8:49pm
If you get one of those things that scores the paper be B careful its easy to go to far in.

wine-o-clock, Oct 7, 7:41am
wallpaper tiger

mrelijah, Oct 7, 9:03am
No, thankfully it is not vinyl.

wine-o-clock, Oct 7, 9:27am
sounds like no size was use when it was originally put up. Get a garden sprayer and fill with hot water with lots of dish detergent and spray spray spray until its quite soaked. then see if your flat blade scraper will slide it off-if not, y will need a wallpaper scraper to allow the water to penetrate through. dont let the paper dry out-do it in sections

sossie1, Oct 7, 10:57am
I'm removing wallpaper from 1963!

No size was used, so the bottom layer is stuck to the gib.

i'm using a wallpaper steamer, but it's still a hard slog, and I am also having to use a paint scraper in some parts. Plus a spay bottle with vinegar etc etc

trade4us2, Oct 8, 5:49pm
Score the paper with a saw held sideways, and spray with warm water.

tygertung, Oct 8, 8:25pm
Sometimes it is so bad that it is easier to just replace the gib. Especially when you have 5+ layers of wallpaper on unprimed gib, it takes the paper off the gib and you end up having to plaster the entire wall.

pettal, Oct 8, 8:38pm
belt sander .

timberman, Oct 8, 8:45pm
as tygertung tells you dont muck about just replace the gib to give you a pro finish & also this allows you to insulate & upgrade wiring

rbd, Oct 8, 8:50pm
Best tool to remove wallpaper is a sledge hammer.

cattleshed, Oct 9, 5:49pm
A lot of guesswork going on which I suppose is fair enough as it is hard to say without seeing it but if it is not vinyl then yes. hot water, scoring and maybe a steamer or steam iron or if it is nice and straight suitably prime and wallpaper over it but use embossed, Replacing the jib is not required strictly speaking. If you do wish to or need to insulate the walls and redo the wiring / plumbing etc well yes that is the thing to do however the OP has not made sounds in that direction as yet.

zak410, Sep 22, 12:13pm
If removing the wallpaper means damaging the Gib then it is better to seal walls with a pigmented sealer and skim coat the whole wall to a paint finish level.