Waterblasting roof

sophie145, Sep 4, 9:56pm
Would anyone know what type of tradesperson do I call for a waterblasting job on my roof? Painter, house cleaning person. I am lost not my field of expertise. Thanks in advance.

intrade, Sep 4, 10:28pm
the question is is your roof past its used by date. Damp homes number 1 cause is the roof. and adding paint to a roof that needs replacing is just flushing money down the toilet like.

androth2, Sep 4, 10:30pm
Some advertise water blasting then painting ,others advertise water blasting of moss etc and sometimes a sealer coat if its tiles.

intrade, Sep 4, 10:31pm
i would get the Garden hose and get a 5 liter moss and mildew 30 secound outdoor cleaner and wet the whole roof with it. job done.
if you dont have much of a idea it can be tricky. I own a house i replaced the roof cause it was shot . The women next to my one has a roof just as shot. I told her she needs a new roof so she paid somone to tell her its fine. New zealand has a extreem high ammount of incompetent trades people.

intrade, Sep 4, 10:40pm
chch is way to cold to do any structural work wait till summer . once you know what needs doing. i use carwash on my house roof in town where i dont drink the water.

sophie145, Sep 4, 10:47pm
Thanks for the replies/ Roof is fine just want to spruce it up for myself.I just didn't want to repaint it without cleaning, so thought I would find an honest person who would do an honest job then go away and let me paint it.

lythande1, Sep 5, 8:11am
People who advertise roof cleaning is who you call.

jkp58, Sep 5, 1:39pm
Jetx waterblasting

artemis, Sep 5, 1:42pm
Be careful before waterblasting a roof. Can be very damaging.

Have a look at the Chemwash site, roof cleaning page. Not that you have to use them, and they may not operate in your area anyway, but they explain why not to waterblast the roof. If there is lichen etc on the roof a spray can be added - if so good idea to check in a few months and get the guys back if they have missed spots. Should be free.

(Our tradie business uses Chemwash a lot. They know what they are doing and have the gear. Not cheap but cheaper than a damaged roof.)

krames, Sep 6, 7:51pm
make sure they include fall restraint either edge protection or harness in the price , if they dont they will most likely be cowboys

pettal, Sep 6, 9:01pm
what sort of roof is it for a start ? .

lakeview3, Sep 6, 9:09pm
Be careful water blasting anything to be honest.

You could end up blasting water up the wrong way and cause more issues.

Anything like concrete or glass you can end up blasting out tiny sand particles and making the surface more porous and more likely to get dirty again.

pasadena1, Sep 7, 7:48pm
A company called Washrite does a great job at cleaning roofs - and buildings.

frank1, Oct 1, 4:48pm
My thoughts too #11, no one has asked.