Pop up sprinklers on timers for lawn

Page 1 / 2
oakcottage, Feb 19, 11:24pm
Why don't you save precious water and not water the lawn.

shanreagh, Feb 20, 12:30am
Or plant more resilient species.

Ok to water lawn if it is coming from a tank that is getting water from off the gutters and not through town supply I guess?

I would not waste any money on a lawn though.

Sprinklers that were attached to ground dryness sensors for vegetable gardens rather than timers that sprinkle even when it is raining, could be an idea.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 20, 10:07am
Amazing things our lawns. We do not water, they turn crisp and golden, and after the first heavy autumn rain back they come.

I still think that space would make a great vegie garden, but the LL has less imagination.

So, no, waste of money. Those pop up sprinklers.

amasser, Feb 20, 10:22am
Leave grass longer in Summer so roots extend and it becomes denser.

articferrit, Feb 20, 10:51am
Use the $2000 to buy artificial grass?, always looks good and doesnt need watering

shanreagh, Feb 20, 11:01am
Oh that's all right then. No care about wasting water as long as it looks 'awesome' and its in 'Canterbury'.

This water you are going to use, is it stored from water captured from your roof? Or are you going to waste precious town supply water on keeping non essentials going?

At least get a system that checks to see if watering is necessary, checks the moisture retention levels They may cost a bit more than your pop-up sprinklers but at least you won't be watering areas when there is no need.

You could always get advice from a landscape architect on planting the right species so you don't have to have great expanses of lawn.

wine-o-clock, Feb 20, 11:32am
Nothing wrong with watering grass-not everyone in the country has watermeters or water restrictions. Sprinklers will be fine

shanreagh, Feb 20, 11:41am
Oh dear.

What about the concept of acting responsibly and getting resilient grass species, limiting lawn space, moisture meters because it is the right thing to do? Why would a person have to be 'ordered' by cost or restriction to do this? Most odd.

jkp58, Feb 20, 4:33pm
had them for years water every 2 days in sumer for 30 mintues .Greenest lawn in the street.You must also feed your lawn every 2 months spring to autum

shanreagh, Feb 20, 8:17pm
Beats me. though some Cantabrians apparently have a thing about green lawns. Weird

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 20, 8:31pm
Round here some folk agree with you, and think my plantings are theirs to harvest.

But a vegie garden can be a very pretty thing. And certainly tastes better than grass.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 20, 8:32pm
I read somewhere a thing about lawns being a symbol of Western decadence. Them in the deep South can be very decadent. So I hear.

apollo11, Feb 20, 8:52pm
If you water lawn, it grows. Then you have to mow it. Too much work in this heat.

andrew1954, Feb 24, 5:58pm
What are the purpose of lawns, other than a make work scheme by having to mow them. lawns are just a big marketing exercise by the lawn mower companies, who are in all tied up with the greenies ! You can tell that the greenies have their grubby hands in the lawn mower business because when you look at the advert for lawn mowers the first attribute listed is how quiet it is ! A good lawn mower only needs two settings. motor full revs and on the lowest height setting. if you are not creating a dust storm and pulling the grass out by its roots, you are not doing it properly and you are just buying into this make work myth !

shanreagh, Feb 25, 5:30pm
Gardens, borders, fruit trees, vegetable gardens, feature plantings yes but you don't need wasteful watered lawns to enjoy them. . lawns are not gardens.

shanreagh, Feb 25, 6:46pm
More ideas for things that are better than lawns, especially if you have to artificially water them thus wasting a precious resource. paved barbeque areas, any kind of sitting out area especially if in an arbour. espaliered fruit trees, bird baths, herb gardens, glasshouses but lawns just so you go round and round like a demented chook with eye protectors and ear muffs behind some noisy gas guzzling machine - nah.

johnn, Feb 25, 10:31pm
Not my fault that the council doesn't put in the infrastructure, they certainly know how to charge for the water & allow more houses to be connected & even allow Chinese water bottlers to have it for next to nothing, if you like a green lawn then water it, there is no shame in using what you have paid for.

mazalinas, Feb 25, 11:48pm
The richest person is China is a bottled water tycoon, knocking Alibaba founder Jack Ma from his mantle.

Zhong Shanshan founded Nongfu Spring in 1996 in the Zhejiang province on China's Eastern coast.

He gets his water from NZ for next to nothing.

nzshooter01, Feb 26, 8:34am
Water it all you want
Why have a nice tidy house etc and a crap looking dead lawn
If your water comes from out of the ground the excess only ends up going out to sea so go for it

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 26, 9:00am
Why? Possibly because the planet cannot afford green lawns because they are a waste of space and water, and that aforementioned symbol of Western decadence, lol.

And it doesn't have to be a crap looking dead lawn. Plenty of perfectly gorgeous environmentally positive alternatives to that piece of high maintenance expensive wasteful green velvet.

shanreagh, Feb 26, 9:04am
Totally agree. Plenty of alternatives to wastefully using water and being a slave to a weekend of fume breathing behind a lawn mower.

melcraig, Feb 26, 4:10pm
so shoot me. I water my lawn!

I love my lush, green lawn. Nothing better on hot day than wandering over the lawn in bare feet. Bliss.

Water you lawn, and be happy.

kitty179, Feb 26, 4:18pm
The way I see it - if we are at any time in danger of running out of, or low on, water, my council will instruct me to restrict my use. At other times I don't see the point. Usage isn't always wastage. Also - if some have no issue with mowing and maintaining their lawns if they take pleasure in them, good on them. Others are free to not have lawns if that's better suited to their lifestyle.

nzshooter01, Feb 27, 7:42am
So you wwould rather the water ran out to sea than make my lawn grow
Im off to turn the sprinkler on now

hazelnut2, Feb 27, 7:58am
I LOOVE seeing a velvet green lawn with dew on it. Love it so much that I spent some days on my knees pulling out buckets and buckets full of awful mini-clover type weed which spray couldn't kill. I looked a bit like a colourful deformed sheep! lol

I would install the sprinklers, but have a manual on/off switch so it gets watered only when necessary, say once a week, but give it a good soak and measure how much the first time and use that as a guide. I think I read somewhere it needs about 10mm a week. Grass doesn't actually like chlorine that much. Every day at 4am is too much.

I would like to get some in ground sprinklers myself. but hubby says 'nah'!