Not looking at a DIY but has anyone had a ducted

bebe24, May 1, 10:25pm
heatpump and what would you reccomend for a smallish 3 bedroom house. The lounge does not need heating as their is already a heat pump in place but does not heat the whole place. At the moment we have an old log burner near the end of its life and as we are getting older we don't want the hard work of getting firewood .The log burner seems to heat the whole house but looking for an easier option. Good comments appreciated thanks.

lythande1, May 2, 8:50am
Ducted is good, you can have a simple on/off switch or a thermostat for it to auto. It does drop the temp in the room with the heater a bit, but you kind of want to even it out.

gabbysnana, May 2, 8:55am
Morning we have a fujistu in roof ducted system, put in by oxyair.co.nz. if you Google them they are having a big sale right now. Research their product then get them in to give you a quote. They are based in Hamilton but go everywhere.

tweake, May 2, 10:18am
a ducted heat pump for the bed rooms is a good idea. that way you can run the bedrooms at a different temp to the lounge heat pump. one bonus is the air return is often put in the hall way so you also heat the hall way as well.

downside is often the install side of things. getting the ducts to be installed properly and not leak is a major issue. as well as properly insulating the ducts. tho with a small house you can get away with flexi duct which makes it a lot easier.
installing the inlet and outlet vents in the right place can be an issue with low roof lines.

you can also tie in the ventilation.

mikek, May 2, 10:46am
We had a ducted system installed in our house, into the bedrooms as the rest of the house has other options. Ours is 2 stories so had to run the ducts up the back of 2 wardrobes (so lost a little wardrobe space). Its brilliant, so good in Summer and Winter - no bulky boxes in the room or outside. Only thing I would recommend is getting it zoned (ie split so you can choose which rooms are heated and which are not) we didnt do this as it was another few grand, but it would be nice to have different options by room (ie not on at all for the spare room) and different temps for others. Aside from that, great option.

tweake, May 2, 11:04am
i would check how they do the zones. i suspect they just restrict the air flow to the room which causes other issues. otherwise you would have to do a separate head ie another heat pump.
if its just going to bed rooms i would keep them all the same. put thermostat in the master bedroom.

foamyone, May 3, 9:48pm
One of the best things that we did when we built. It's epic, honestly.

Our house is 3 bedroom with quite a large lounge. We have 2 vents in the lounge and one in each bedroom. It's not zoned, but really doesn't matter and I doubt i'd use it if I had it.

A cool bedroom at night after a 30 degree day? Priceless.

jkp58, May 4, 6:37pm
get rid of existing in the lounge and duct that as well you wont regret it. . We have had ducted for ten plus years wouldnt use any thing else

tweake, May 4, 7:12pm
i would be inclined to keep it.
that way you can easily have a different temp in the lounge than in the bedrooms.

nadznz, May 4, 8:53pm
We put in a ducted system a couple of years ago, totally worth it, love it. Set the times for before we get up and for just before we get home at night so it’s warm when we want it to be. Also awesome to be able to cool the place down when we need to as well.

gpg58, May 4, 10:21pm
Personally unless money is no issue, i would just put a second highwall or floor consul heatpump in, at the other end of the house(often end wall of a hall etc) or even 2 more (perhaps 1 in main bedroom as well). When you see the eye watering cost for a properly installed ducted system with individual room controls, you may see why. Most ducted systems i have been involved with installing(my trade), were on new builds, so much easier than in an existing dwelling, and trying to get access to areas, and to get good airflow everywhere, including very importantly, for the return airflow.
Then add in how many poorly set up or designed systems, i have had to try to sort out, as a serviceman.
Almost Anything can be done at a price though, and a well designed and installed system does work well, a bad one is . enough said.

dansac, Jul 27, 2:46pm
I had a ducted system put in three years ago, also have a central wood burner that heats the whole house, I love the fire, so do use that a lot.
The system went into a two storey existing home, vents fine upstairs, very central positions in the ceiling, doing downstairs was a difficult for the installers, and I had large spaces behind wardrobes where the ducting could run, but that meant the vents were not in the best positions. There was one room that the vent was in the worst position and that happened to be the one with the main controller, I had a slave put up stairs, so it meant that the temperature never reached what it should and the unit just keep going. Had the company back a few times, they were very good, and we both knew it was because of the vent position and there was no where to place a second vent, so we put a small wall unit in the room, quite a large room kitchen, dining and family room. This has worked well, once at temperature they both drop stop. The increase in power per month varies a little but on average it is about 50 - 70 dollars more per month, through winter, if I am solely using the ducted system. It is certainly easy to set the timers and come home and get up to a lovely warm house. But as gpg58 says everything comes at a price, I do not have individual controls in each room