Concrete pourer vs DIY 25kg bags

rats123, Apr 6, 3:30am
I'm putting up a retaining wall. This is the second one I'm doing. The first one I did using 25kg bags of concrete and it cost me about $300. Man, it was hard work but I managed to do it. For my second retaining wall I'm thinking about prepping the site and then getting in a concrete pourer to fill the holes.
I am looking at 9 holes about 700mm deep and 200m wide.

Would I be better off hauling 25kg bags or getting a concrete pourer in? Thanks

gbking, Apr 6, 5:09am
ask at your local readymix place or similar, often they will have a bit left over after larger pours which might be enough for your job and they are only too pleased to get rid of it at a cheaper rate

rats123, Apr 6, 6:31am
Pardon my ignorance here, what is a "readymix" place?

pauldw, Apr 6, 6:41am
What are you putting in the holes? 700mm deep suggests wall about 600mm high but 200mm diameter means skinny posts or no room for concrete.

griev, Apr 6, 8:46am
Ready mix = your local concrete mixer plant

rats123, Apr 7, 1:22am
Sorry, meant 300 wide

maddie44, Apr 7, 4:42am
When getting a metre price for readymix check that there isn't a minimum charge.

survivalkiwi, Apr 7, 4:51am
There will always be a minimum charge. You can't expect them to deliver $40 worth of concrete.

jimgammy, Apr 7, 4:53am
Could always hire a mixer,have the aggregate delivered and buy the cement .

comadi, Apr 7, 8:55am
If you are fit the cheapest way is to buy builders mix and cement in bags and mix in a wheel barrow.
I did this for one of my retaining walls.
The dearer way which is easier is to buy extra strength quick crete bags and tip them in the holes with water.

books4nz, Apr 8, 12:23pm
I saw a tarpaulin being used to mix concrete on recently - the sides were able to be lifted to move the mix as it was blended.

oliver6, Feb 9, 5:49am
Only a small amount required there. Depends how much you enjoy hard work.
I recently mixed and poured 16 holes with 100 x 100 posts in, each 900 deep and some quite wide. I used 1cu metre of builders mix and it took me about 2 hours.