Dog Wood Tree Problem.

gin9, Oct 25, 11:48pm
Hi, Can anyone help me!
I planted three Dog Wood Trees on our front lawn last year (September).And unfortunately not long after I planted the trees we had some really strong winds.Well ever since all three trees have sat on our front lawn looking like sticks (the very small amount of leaves that they did have fell off in Autum and we haven't had any flowers, berries or new leaves since). Can anyone suggest what I can do help revive my trees!I have fertilised them and kept them well watered, but still they aren't doing anything!

maclad, Oct 26, 3:06am
Trees planted in lawns really need 2 or 3 years where the ground round them is kept free of weeds and lightly culitvated as well as watered and fertilized. Clean ground makes such a difference to growth.

gin9, Oct 27, 4:22am
Thanks for that, I will clear all the grass from around the trees and put some concrete surrounds around them and give them a good dose of fertiliser and hope that they come away soon!

spiritofgonzo, Oct 27, 4:31am
It's hard to tell.But when you plant trees, ideally you need to dig a hole twice the size of the existing rootball, and backfill with a compost mixed with the soil . I add a handfull of sheep pellets and small handful of blood and bone too.Then if you plant in spring, it's really important that you keep it well watered over the summer.And this doesn't mean a 10minute water every 2nd evening, this means an hour long soak every week (if needed), so that all the roots get a drink.Better to plant in the autumn, and allow the roots to get established over the winter so it's more settled for the summer.As mentioned, keep weeds/grass away from the rootball for the first year at least, and preferably add a good mulch of bark or compost to prevent it drying out too quick.If the tree wasn't planted properly, and cared for properly over the first season, this might explain the symptoms . but it doesn't mean it will die, just that it will take longer to establish.Also, note that dogwoods are generally pretty twiggy and slow growing anyway, until they become mature.

maclad, Oct 27, 5:03am
Good points #4

gin9, Oct 28, 9:01pm
Thank you, I have taken all your info on board and hopefully my trees will come right soon.I had a really beautiful dog wood at our last house and I suppose I expecting these trees to look as good as itthis year. But at $60.00 each I don't want them to die on me!