Possums in roof

tweake, Apr 14, 5:54pm
find where they are getting in.
then wait until well after dark before fixing the hole.

jsimons12, Apr 19, 7:45pm
Poor thing!
While you are sorting the hole & after it's sorted to deter them:
Try 'essential' peppermint oil on cotton balls dowsed thickly & also get a diffuser up in the ceiling with peppermint oil, if you can't get in there in the room below for a few hours with about 20-40 drops

(**keep away from cats & dogs, their livers can't process the smell & you can damage them permanently so keep the cats/dogs outside for half a day when you do the diffuser). And be ready for a very irritated dry throat if you can't block off under the door easily, but it will still seep through the door anyway. The diffuser will flush them out & the cotton balls help with maintenance if you chuck some in the roof every month or two.

I find it works for rats & cockroaches & wasps, & according to the internet Possums hate it too. most creatures do.
it has to be essential oil not fragrant. 'Lotus' is usually the cheapest or you can get some quite good brands online for a good price if you can wait.

So if you don't know - under usual circumstance never ever use 20 to 40 drops of essential oil to diffuse & only use this amount with a steam diffuser not a flame lit oil burner. Don't stay in the room while you are doing it for long.

You'll also need to provide ventilation for any pets after you bring them back inside & keep them away from the area for a few days & perhaps leave a window open on a crack near where they are if needed.

macandrosie, May 21, 10:13pm
There are possum kill traps, definitely better than catching in a wire cage trap as they can escape! Farmlands have them.

christin, May 23, 6:07pm
I did that, got a hell of a fright thr next morning at 5am going bleary eyed to the toilet and had him staring in the louvres at me as his nice warm home had gone!

Though worse is hearing one in your chimney at 2am, hear him clatter down it snd then have to heard a panicky possum out of your house by chasing him through the lounge!

(Scarey thinking it would run across my bed too lol)

lakeview3, May 23, 6:45pm
I heard something last night, reckon it’s a rat getting in by the corner guttering. First I heard it in the ceiling then I heard it running along the gutter. Eek. Anyway we have a trap waiting for it in the gutter tonight. Wish us luck.

We did see a dirty big rat on the wood pile when we did playback on the CCTV which is right about the wood.

beebb3, May 23, 6:49pm
The trap you are after is called a. Timm's Trap. stock firms eg. PGG sell them. Get whoever sells you the trap to explain how it works, easy peasy. I use half an apple with some oil of aniseed drops in the centre, attracts them.
Google first to read up about the trap and you know whats what? Goodluck.

heisei28, May 23, 6:54pm
I have had a few in the roof until I found the hole and put netting in it.
Caught them in a cat trap, disposed with a slug gun, threw into dead lands.
In the end I stopped disposing off them with slug guns.
It was getting expensive to replace them.

lakeview3, May 23, 7:00pm
lol you’re so funny!

heisei28, May 23, 7:00pm
Timms-Trap
Inside the box is a spring loaded bar that strikes the possum under the chin when it sets off the trap. This cuts off the possums wind-pipe so that the possum becomes unconscious and then dies from lack of oxygen.

That is hardly an instant kill.

elect70, May 28, 11:22pm
Cut down any tree branches beside the house so they cant climb accross . . Put atimms trap in the roof as ^^^

trade4us2, Jul 22, 1:06pm
I had a possum in the roof. I made a swing door so it could get out at night and not back in. Next night it was glaring at me because it could not get back in.
The night night it liked the look of an apple in my Timms trap. Surprise!