Ground cover under Magnolia Fairy Blush

dean.roselea, Jul 12, 5:09pm
Hi all - I have three Magnolia Fairy Blush in White. i'm going to prune these into standards and was wondering what a good ground cover would be underneath. I'm looking for something evergreen with small pale pink or white flowers. Cheers.

dean.roselea, Jul 12, 5:13pm
Forgot to add - based in Wellington. Part shade in winter and full sun in summer. Cheers.

lakeview3, Jul 12, 6:00pm
Ajuga?

Quite pretty, low maintenance.

342, Jul 12, 6:16pm
What about bog rosemary? ( Andromeda polifolia )

342, Jul 12, 6:39pm
Hmm bog rosemary might be too tall for you so there is Pulmonaria ( Lungwort ). Pretty leaf when it's not in flower.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 12, 7:35pm
Bacopa.

dean.roselea, Jul 12, 9:13pm
Quite liking the look of this. Do you know where in NZ you can get it from?

articferrit, Jul 13, 10:29am
What about Renga renga?

highclouds, Jul 13, 11:28am
How big is the area ? , how high above the ground are your standards going to first branch ? ,

highclouds, Jul 13, 11:43am
Bacopa are not a particularly hardy plant especially in wellington, they are rather delicate and certainly prone to being destroyed in the wind .

lakeview3, Jul 13, 11:47am
good point. Might be better to go for something else like a grevillea and be less fussy about what colour it is.

Just had a thought, what about violets? Can get white ones and purple. Reasonably hardy as we have them here and they do OK even with frosts.

Ajuga really are the hardiest groundcover though.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 15, 11:07am
They do self seed though, which in this situation could be an advantage. I would underplant with spring bulbs and layer up with something delicate looking that seeds itself, to provide contrast foliage. Perhaps californian poppy if you want tough? There are some very pretty forms.