How to cover ugly block wall

hesian, Sep 20, 2:57am
Ideas? It is the side of a neighbour's garage built on to our boundary and they have said they dont mind what we put on it (communal boundary anyway).

fpress, Sep 20, 3:20am
How about painting it white, and then espaliering some fruit trees against it?
Apple and pear would work well,

ebygum1, Sep 20, 3:21am
There used to be a Music Hall star called Ida Wall,she may be able to help.

zak410, Sep 20, 3:21am
solid plaster?
or trellis and plants like passion fruit?

jane310567, Sep 20, 3:35am
hanging garden?

budgel, Sep 20, 3:38am
Passionfruit grow well against a concrete wall if it catches the sun.

jonners2013, Sep 20, 4:44am
a mural? a plant? shelving? make an outdoor entertaining space that back onto the wall and have a shade cloth or pergola coming off the wall?

oooo paint it white and then you can get a projector and then you've got an outdoor cinema!

mtbotrev, Sep 20, 8:04am
frame(s) and climbers.

karrie3, Sep 20, 4:30pm
Turn it into a feature. Paint the wall a bright unexpected colour like lime, fuschia or purple, add some large pots, a deck or paving in front of the wall and some seating. I've seen one painted royal blue with a large outdoor mirror, mosaic planters and a large bench seat, looked stunning

hesian, Sep 20, 7:52pm
Thank you everyone. LOL outdoor movies!(featuring Ida Wall? ) One question about plastering - is there a sort of paint with plaster finish? Cant believe this wall was built by a professional and cement-blockwork really pretty uneven finish.

After that could try a variety of things suggested with plants, mirrors and decor. Feeling quite inspired but dont think I am brave enough for royal blue. The sort of person who succeeds with that kind of boldness has the decorating gift. It is a large area and close to the house. An awning would be nice for the later afternoon sun which hits it but they are quite expensive I thought.

russ18, Sep 20, 8:29pm
Paint a huge mural on it. Mmmmmm classy!

jbsouthland, Sep 20, 8:49pm
Ooh lucky you ! I would love a wall like that to mosaic . Google ideas . And get inspired.

Things like trellis , paint , mirror , old decorative door with Virginia creeper surrounding it , plantings . So many ideas as already mentioned.
Would love to know what you decide .

racheal77, Sep 20, 9:47pm
ficus pumila? we have this growing on a brick fence between our neighbours - not as fast growing or invasive as ivy but once established makes a nice 'green' wall

choosy7, Sep 22, 3:58pm
If in doubt, paint it out.

Don't do anything to feature this wall. It is ugly and you don't want to accentuate it. And why would you want to look at the neighbour's garage wall.

Paint it black and forget it.

The shelves are a good idea if you need storage, but once again, keep your colour consistency. Do not highlight them.