Small concrete pad

purdie69, Nov 22, 6:11pm
I am wanting to put down a small concrete pad for my barbecue. Was thinking of the instant concrete from Mitre10. Is this the best way for me to go? OK you are dealing with a female who has never done this sort of thing so words of one syllable would be preferable lol

cabrio1, Nov 22, 6:41pm
How big is the area you want to concrete?

mrsvonflik, Nov 22, 11:45pm
I would use paving stones.

purdie69, Nov 23, 6:35am
approx 2mx1m

articferrit, Nov 23, 6:49am
buy 8 50cm square pavers?

tygertung, Nov 23, 7:09am
The instant concrete is quite expensive unless you only want to do a tiny area.

It is much cheaper to get some of the pre-mix agregate (stones and sand mix) from a landscaping supplies place, and a bag of cement and then mix 6 parts pre-mix to one part cement. Add water and mix to the right consistancy with a shovel in a wheelbarrow.

You can get some timber and box up to the shape you want. Then pour the concrete and some wood to smooth it off.

What you can do to get it real nice is wait until it is hardened off a bit and get one of those rectangular floats/trowel thingys and smooth it off with that.

I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it, or read a book.

It isn't very hard.

It makes no difference if you are male or female. Girls can do it too you know!

stevo2, Nov 23, 7:37am
You would need 16 bags of this https://www.bunnings.co.nz/cemix-20kg-multicrete_p0232228 if you go 75mm thick and some boxing - say $150 all up assuming you have the tools needed ie shovel, wheelbarrow, concreting floats/trowels etc. Or you could do an 1800x900 using 8 of these https://www.bunnings.co.nz/firth-courtyard-flagstone-paver-450x450x50mm-volcanic-ash_p0310709 plus some sand - say $150 and all you need is a shovel and hammer but no experience.
Cheers Stevo

amasser, Nov 23, 8:20am
Paving stones which could be laid on a sand base, with a border of H4 timber. Concrete would be more bother.

P.S. You said (one) syllable.

pico42, Nov 23, 9:31am
The fact you are female is irrelevant to your lack of knowledge about this.

As others have suggested, I would use concrete pavers.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 23, 12:13pm
I have built myself a pad using four big concrete pavers on a sand bed, and it has been in place for four years without moving. It takes my bins and provides dry underfoot access to a under deck storage area. I have made concrete versions in the past, the pavers were quicker and easier.

purdie69, Nov 23, 12:34pm
Thank you everyone for your help. I think I will.go the paver way

m16d, Nov 23, 4:48pm

calista, Dec 6, 12:22pm
Yes, pave over your whole section while your at it - no more lawns to mow.

brouser3, Dec 6, 2:52pm
Then overlay with artificial turf - no mowing .

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 6, 8:22pm
Nah. Paint the concrete green. That fake grass is expensive.

ardeea, Sep 5, 12:10pm
You only need 8 50cmpavers. I had similar job and asked at
paving supplier for name of some capable person who would do
the job. Put me onto a handyman who did great job at very reasonable
charge - and yes tax was paid on the job so all was clean.