Concrete Barrowloads = cu metre

kenw1, Apr 1, 9:25pm
Just found out that the concrete pumper cannot do this job :-(

Roughly how many barrow loads, not massive ones are equal to a cubic metre of concrete.

Thanks

trad, Apr 1, 9:36pm
Depends on size of barrow, but say 4 loads.

tiny15, Apr 1, 11:05pm
12 -14 barrows per cubic meter. wet concrete is around 2000kg (2 ton) per cubic meter, so your barrow will have around 140kg in each one

I am a concrete pumper

ebygum1, Apr 2, 12:38am
A builders barrow is usually 3 cubic foot. So the 12 to 14 barrows would be pretty right.

kenw1, Apr 2, 1:59am
Thanks.

The firm that did the pump under for the previous part of this project are no longer doing it :-(.

Have just seen and electric wheel barrow t the local hire place so that will help a bit.

Looks like a devil of a job here we come.

omamari, Apr 2, 2:47am
Tiny15 will correct me if I.m wrong, but a concrete pump is around $500 minimum charge, So if you can't hire one why not spend that money on about 5 guys as a fundraiser for a rugby club.
I think a concrete truck driver is going to be pretty brassed off loading one electric barrow at a time

tiny15, Apr 2, 3:51am
yes. I'm in australia pumping concrete- around $500 is our minimum charge. i recently did 2 jobs at my house & barrowed both jobs in (one was a 1 cube job & the other 2 cubes) it was only a short distance to barrow it from the truck. Concrete trucks charge waiting time over here after 25 mins

survivalkiwi, Apr 2, 5:44am
20 barrows to the meter.

russ18, Apr 2, 6:02am
Moved a lot of cubes of builders mix, 12 barrow loads.

kenw1, Apr 2, 6:11am
The problem is, this is for strip footings under a house.

There is only around 700mm space under the house.

Its sons house that needed repiling, then bad ground so needs strip footings.

Got three strips left to do, one is on the outside edge, so thats easy, but the other two are under the house, about 12 m long.

Last part of the job cost us $900 for the pumper and it was worth every penny.

Once you have filled in the bits that you can pour it into, it then becomes a case of filling poly boxes and rollering them under the house on conveyor rollers.

There are a few descriptions for the job, but none of them fit TM rules.

Anyway got a meet set up with a guy tomorrow to see if he has any ideas.

Such fun.

spirogryo, Apr 2, 6:39am
I would never use Ready Mix for a tricky pour.A heap of builders mix,some cement.a bottle of plasticiser and some petrol for the Villiers.You have complete control and no stess.And as the You I man says,it will save you LOTS

kenw1, Apr 2, 6:44am
We have done it that way for the first part, but that just adds another issue to be managed.

I am hoping (Like Crazy) that once we get the outside trench done, that is easy, just tip in down from the drive. Then we can put piles under the perimeter of the house and drop one steel beam down out from under the house. That may (please) let us have enough space to make a chute and barrow it up the drive and tip in a chute to go across under the house into the trench.

Even if we have to pay waiting time for the truck, it maybe easier.

Not even my ########### house, its our sons.

gem661, Apr 2, 6:58am
Sounds challenging with the space and access etc.
Mind your backs and careful not to blow your ring gears.
Good luck. The beers will be so good when you knock off.

kenw1, Apr 2, 7:08am
I hate to say it, but this is the easier bit, ok Im nuts, we had to dig out about 70 trailer loads of soil/clay to get under there, and hand dig the strip trenches.

We did have someone lined up to do the whole job, but that is another whole story.

gem661, Apr 2, 8:02am
Can you get some PD Team in on the project and stay in charge/supervise
along with their Overseer - Officer guy?
If it was me I would be getting a sharp price on a massage deal regardless, lol! Legendary amount of clay/soil, whew!

kenw1, Apr 3, 7:49am
Lucky Lucky Lucky me. The concrete pumper came round today, and we had a chat, providing I get a couple of big strong lads to help move the pipe under the house, he will do the job.

Thanks to all for the support and advice.

You cannot imagine how much easier this has made my life.

tiny15, Apr 3, 8:24am
use 'reduced line mix' concrete. its a special mix which can be pumped thru a 2 inch hose, it will cost around 15-20 dollars more per cubic meter than standard concrete- but 1 person should be able drag 10m of hose around under a house. the chances of even 2 guys trying to move a 3inch hose full of concrete while on their knees under a house is very slim

gem661, Feb 15, 11:47am
Good on you Gavin, outcome found, stress reduced, backs and ring gears in tact. and cold beers after the pour. choice!