Question for Electrician

Page 2 / 2
mrfxit, Aug 4, 12:08pm
This whole thread just goes to show how unnecessarily complicated the regulations can be.

"Do I earth it or not, depends on . . . . . . . >>"

In reality, any electrical items with metal parts that can be easily touched by a human, should be earthed

onl_148, Aug 12, 4:47pm
Exactly. but how small or big does the finger or body part have to be in order to be able to access the metal. it is the quantitative stuff that makes these sort of rules and regs complicated !

bill1451, Aug 12, 6:19pm
that is VIR vulcanised india rubber, which by now is probably over 60 years old and must be replaced, as when you touch it or bend it the insulation will fall to pieces, I once went to a house in Aranui Wainoni and refused to work on it as the wiring was just waiting to catch fire.

bill1451, Aug 12, 6:23pm
At the end of the day you need to put a value on your house and your loved ones lives, and thats priceless, bite the bullet and replace all the old wiring, do a bit every so often as you can afford it.

scuba, Aug 17, 2:42pm
My house is early 1900.Rewired about 2005.Check your house insurance some companies won’t cover you especially if the house is pre 1940 and hasn’t been rewired.

apollo11, Aug 17, 3:39pm
It cost me $6500 to get the entire house rewired- that includes exterior box, main power cable, internal fuse box and all wiring, power points and switches. Really cheap peace of mind. I removed all of the old steel conduit before they started and built new wall framing for the fuse box, they did the rest. This was around five years ago.

mrfxit, Oct 7, 3:58pm
Goes to show what the inflation rate is like.
Had an old 3 bedroom house done in the late 80's for $1800
Total rewire, new sockets etc plus added extra power sockets
Bank insisted on it as part of the purchase.

These two same jobs now would be around $10 to $15K