Leadlight windows

bergkamp, Aug 26, 7:47pm
have a few of these where the lead has corroded in small areas on the perimeter but is generally OK ,as the windows are set into very old putty i know its going to be a major issue just getting them out without damage - thinking of simply using some MS as i repaint the window , has anyone done this ?

pico42, Aug 26, 9:46pm
How has the lead corroded? It is a fairly inert metal.

martin11, Aug 27, 7:49am
Ms will not last long if the lead is coirroded as it will not stick to it . There arev firms in Chch that fix and make lead lights Contact them

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 27, 8:43am
Possibly oxidation, salts, or from the flux used in welding. It can be cleaned off fairly easily. Google is your friend for suitable products, my memory isn't good enough to recall what to use.

bergkamp, Aug 27, 3:32pm
yes ive heard this too , the problem is the numbers associated with making the windows right again would require a second mortgage .

i will probably replace with standard glass , but was wondering if anyone had experience with a diy fix

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 27, 4:10pm
You are sure it is 'corrosion'? Because when I was making stained glass pieces we were told the cames, or lead strips were resistant to corrosion but could oxidise under certain conditions, and if they did cleaning them was a fairly simple process. Considering how old some windows are I am inclined to think that was correct. But if you do not want to keep them, can I suggest you remove them carefully because they are worth good money.

bergkamp, Aug 27, 8:48pm
yes correct it is oxidation brought on by proximity to the sea , . not sure what "cleaning" means . i imagine the cames need to be soldered ,and regrouted or cemented , the glass is set into hard old putty etcetc . its not agoing to be cheap

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 27, 9:28pm
There is a product, or at least used to be that would clean the salts off, but if someone has puttied them, that could be an issue. Pity, a good leaded glass window is a lovely thing.

apollo11, Aug 27, 9:51pm
I have had success with using a heat gun on putty, it usually softens up enough to be gouged out without damaging the wood. I usually protect the glass from any heat with some thin customwood or ply. If you are planning to repaint the frames then you could strip the frames at the same time. I saw this online too, but I've not tried it:
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/dissolve-window-putty-98740.html

bergkamp, Aug 27, 10:14pm
thanks but the issue for me is the expense of getting these wimdows proffessionally repaired

apollo11, Oct 4, 9:43am
It's going to be expensive getting the glass chiselled out and replace with standard clear anyway, bergkamp. Hopefully they don't mangle the hell out of the wooden sashes.