Have you got u-pvc tilt and turn windows?

Page 1 / 2
digmen1, Jul 9, 6:47pm
HI
I'm keen to ear from anyone with these u-pvc tilt and turn windows.

Are you happy with them?
Would you recommend them?
What do you do about curtains and lace curtains etc.

lissie, Jul 9, 7:44pm
I considered getting them - but I like blinds on windows and they don' treally work. They are designed for the European approach of having external shutters that dont' work for us either. Going with the uPVC though - can't wait!

ebygum1, Jul 9, 9:05pm
These windows were designed for use on multi storey houses to make cleaning easy,you only need to turn them for cleaning,just open or lift your curtains,no problem. I would be interested to know how many people who say " they don't work with curtains " have actually used them,or are they just repeating what they have heard from others that have never had them?

hazelnut2, Jul 9, 9:31pm
I asked for quotes for tilt and turns, and twice the people selling them told me they wouldn't work with my current roman blinds.

hazelnut2, Jul 9, 9:51pm
hazelnut2 wrote:
I asked for quotes for tilt and turns, and twice the people selling them told me they wouldn't work with my current roman blinds.

I would love to have these windows, but they are really expensive and the suppliers don't often come here.

digmen1, Jul 9, 11:11pm
I like curtains with lace curtains as well.

I know that the Tilt and Turn windows are best with outside shutters.

But I cant see why I could not keep my present curtains and just open them when I want to open the window.

And I also think that if I opened them (at the top) for some ventilation then I could still keep my curtains

So I'd still like to hear from someone that actually has them and may be has traditional NZ curtains.

I'm here in Tauranga, where most of the window companies do not do u-pvc. They just want to do aluminum

From what I have read aluminum is not the way to go as its cold and creates condensation.

But there is a company in Thames that say they come to Tauranga. I have asked them for an approximate quote.

I will keep you "posted"

digmen1, Jul 10, 3:38am
Whereabouts do you live?
You say they wont work fro you, yet you are going with the uPVC. Can you tell us more. Are you going for a different style of window than Tilt and Turn.

cagivachick1, Jul 10, 7:47am
forget UPVC contact EurotecWindoors in Dunedin they do wooden windows and they go NZ wide all german hardware, top quality stuff

digmen1, Jul 10, 8:42am
Wooden windows - you must be joking.
They need painting every few years and they don't open properly after they warp etc etc.
I want to live in the 21st century not the 19th century.

cagivachick1, Jul 10, 8:58am
no worries, you probably couldnt afford them anyway, best you stick with the plastic ones then

jane310567, Jul 10, 9:15am
funny i was watching an english home program last week and they were talking about aluminium windows as premium. On these boards everyone says UPVC is the premium as everyone in Europe has them!

cabrio1, Jul 10, 9:21am
Had upvc double glazed tilt and turns in my house in the uk 15 years ago.
Bloody marvellous.
We had curtains. Awesome in summer to open them right up.
Great in winter or for security to tilt tem and get a small opening at the top.
NZ is about 30 years behind in window technology, sorry to be negative.

lissie, Jul 10, 9:33am
Titahi Bay - coastal Porirua . We are in a special engineering zone because of the exposure to the NW wind - it's impressive even for Wellington! So we need super, super wind-resistant! We're going with uPVC - thermalframe.co.nz (they are Wgtn based but I think they do out of town stuff too). but will go with a mixture of casement and awning windows and sliding doors.

I was initially attracted to T&T windows for ease of cleaning (we get a lot of salt-spray!) - but in fact the casment (side-hung) windows are just about as good. I was adivsed that I couldn't have the full height windows as T&T because of the wind factor. Also because the rooms are quite small I really don't want curtains - and blinds really won't work with t&t

I'm still waiting on the final quote - but if you compare them to the equivalent aluminium - thermally broken with a 16mm gap - they are actually cheapers.

lissie, Jul 10, 11:12pm
Update - just got the quote - for a window 1800x1200h double glazed with argon gas $1100 inc GST I haven't got an actual quote from the Aluminimum place because once they indicated that I'd need anodised and their "architectural" quality because ofthe salt and wind I figured it was going to be an outrageous cost. The uPVC front door is about $1800 inc GST - the aluminum place indicated their front doors started at $3k .

merrigj, Jul 10, 11:43pm
They are best for their thermal properties and they don't get condensation on the frames like aluminium does even though they are cheaper. The premium in my opinion would be thermally broken aluminium. We are staying at friends and they have aluminium frames and they are wet drip and grow mould awful compared to UPVC we have where I haven't wiped them in the 2 years we have had them

smiler127, Jul 11, 1:00am
We had them installed in a large house flint stone built house in Cornwall in the UK. The house was built in 1900 and had some deep window sills, so the curtain rods hung outside these, but other windows where the rail was above the window, we just moved the curtain out of the way, it wasn't an issue at all.

They were fantastic, apart from the obvious cleaning possibilities for the upstairs, they give options for opening for a small breeze or full on blast for a hot summer's day.

We never had any mould issues and there was no central heating in the house, just night storage heaters and open fires.We kept the original house door, because it was lovely and also because we didn't like the look of the upvc doors they made then. The doors may have improved in style now, but it's whatever suits your style and budget too!

smiler127, Jul 11, 1:42am
Our quote for wooden DG windows and doors came in at $80-90,000 plus installation. The top quote for aluminium, plus thermal break was half that.

topseycat, Jul 11, 1:49am
I've got upvc frames and double glazed. Used thermalframe they were good and easy to deal with. It is expensive but I haven't had any major problems, the minor ones have been fixed by thermalframe. I don't get any condensation on the windows or frames. I replaced a mixture of aluminium and wooden frames

digmen1, Jul 11, 4:24am
When you say expensive - do you mean expensive compared to ordinary wooden or aluminiun windows, or double glazed wooden or aluminium windows?

cabrio1, Jul 11, 5:17am
Average cost for a window is £300 fitted and a uPVC door is £550. Total cost should be around £4600 - £5000. Make sure you get an insurance backed guarantee if the firm is a small one. We fit Rehau for these prices. Aim for a rehau supplier if you can . Veka, Synseal or Swish are mid range but also quite good.

Copied from an online average uk price for 12 widows and 2 doors fitted.
I wonder how that stacks up against a nz price?
I used to fit these type of widows as a youngster. Geez, 30 years ago.

lissie, Jul 11, 5:39am
From the quote I got today from Theremalframe - the uPVC front door is $1800, the 1800x1200 window with an opening casement is $1100 and the sliding patio door is $3158 - all inc gst excluding installation. Note that the door is one panel toughened one pane laminated - all have argon gas .

So I'd say that its vaguely comparable - given that the UK windows tend to be reaally small - we are looking at a total fitted to do the whole 1980's house which includes 3 sliding doors and one 3m full-length window- will be around $30k - I think that's extraordinarily reasonable

cabrio1, Jul 11, 5:45am
Yes, also the UK has a larger market so more competition hence less cost.
You would get it cheaper in the UK, but obviously we don't live in the UK so comparing apples and pears.
Worth the money, my leaky old windows are sealed up with insulation tape.
Wish I could afford to do my house, they are SO much better.

topseycat, Jul 11, 7:21am
Thats a hard one. I spread the changes over about 15 years. The quotes people are giving seem to be resonable mine were done from early 90's to about 2010, I had a change of profiles which is not very noticeable and a colour change I used plain brown frames which they stopped making and the later ones (about 2010) are Mahogany which is also not as noticable as I thought it would have been, I still don't regret changinghttp://www.trademe.co.-
nz/Images/Community/MessageBoa-
rd/Smilies/2.gif. I also got French doors insalled and I sliding door.Thermalframe also use English framing.

lissie, Jul 11, 10:21am
I've heard of people importing them from Europe (or indeed China where they are probably made) - but that would be a mistake - NZ has much higher UV levels than Europe and the PVC made here has more Titanium to ensure that they don't break down under it.

All building materials in NZ are more expensive - even basic stuff like Gibb and piles - Fletchers pretty much has a monopoly- some of the project builders are now look at /doing parallel importing

topseycat, Jul 11, 8:10pm
The European framing seems more than adequate for our use. The first windows I had installed are still holding up