Rangiora people - double glazed windows

melford, May 28, 3:24am
Have you got them and do you find that water spots are unable to be removed from them. What has been your experiences. It is certainly a labour intensive job removing them as each window need to be worked on with a soft non scratching pad with a glass product that is used on car windscreens. Do all double glazed windows do this or should we have got a different time of glass for use in hard water districts?

jonners2013, May 28, 10:04am
Doesn't sound like anything to do with double glazing. Just an issue with mineral build up on glass?

melford, May 29, 9:55am
Yes it is a mineral build up on the glass but since having windows replaced with double glazed ones the problem is much worse. Each window now needs extensive treatment to clean the spots off which is so consuming as each window takes about 1/2 hour to do

melford, May 31, 8:01am
Very interested to hear from people in Rangiora who have bad water spotting on windows.

sylvia, Jun 2, 9:26am
We had a build up caused by high irrigation stalks. Used fine automotive cutting paste, rubbed lightly. Worked beautifully and we are in Rangiora too. Is this what has caused yours? I would prefer to have our irrigation stalks replaced with lower or drip ones.

melford, Jun 3, 5:26am
Ours is caused by irrigation and rain and when washing windows. The glass is damaged now and even though extensive cleaning with a product especially made for it (very time consuming) the problem will return. My question is the glass my windows are made of more susceptible to water spotting more than other double glazed windows in Rangiora. I tend to think it is a fault with the glass itself and that it should be able to withstand mineral deposits in our hard water area of Rangiora, I haven't found anyone in Rangiora that has the identical problem to me

martin11, Jun 3, 7:41pm
We are on the south side of rangiora and do get water spotting on the windows after we wash them or hose spray ,also on the shower , Do not get it from the rain .

mm12345, Jun 3, 8:54pm
This may not be related, but I had a contractor demolishing concrete and using a very large diamond cutter near windows in our house - some of which had just been replaced as they'd broken in the EQs.
I'd given them sheets of ply to shield the windows, but of course. they sprayed the lot with sparks from the cutter anyway.
Curious thing was that only the new glass was damaged - deeply pitted. Sparks hit the old glass - leaving black marks and a spatter pattern, but didn't etch in as happened with the new glass.

martin11, Jun 3, 9:09pm
Neighbour in our street had the same with earthquake repairs and the cutting firm had to replace all of the damaged ones .

mm12345, Dec 24, 12:41am
It was pretty obvious to me that it was going to happen - hence I got sheets of ply out for them to use. No dispute with the contractor - one of their crew stuffed up - they replaced all the damaged glass. Cr@p happens - especially in Chch where there have been a lot of inexperienced workers on job sites. He'd probably been doing demo work where the houses weren't being repaired but were being chopped up and dumped.