Naive question about dual fuel ovens

sumstyle, Oct 29, 3:13pm
If the dual fuel oven is electric and gas (for the cook top), can I do the bottled gas:
1. from a 20kg cylinder
2. stored inside the house,

or does it have to be what I normally see - a big cylinder on the outside of the building?

martin11, Oct 29, 3:23pm
Yes you can use a 20kg cylinder and if its a new instalation the gas bottle will need to be outside and it will need a gas fitter to install it and certify the . instalation

tygertung, Oct 29, 3:31pm
It is better to have the bottle outside or under the house as if there is a leak, you don't want the gas pooling inside the house.

fast4motion, Oct 29, 4:11pm
You can use 9kg bottles if you want. Gives you a relatively cheap option of having two, so you never run out of gas. And you can easily take the empty bottles in yourself to fill or swap for a full one. Or disconnect one to use on the bbq.

martin11, Oct 29, 4:15pm
Not allowed to be under the house , The gas fitter will know the current rules

tygertung, Oct 29, 5:40pm
Yes, maybe it is no longer allowed to be under the house.

ed65, Oct 29, 6:07pm
This is exactly what we did when we had a gas cooktop/electric oven. The piping went through the external wall behind the oven, and connected to a 9kg cylinder positioned beside the wall on a concrete paver. Was good knowing we always had a backup option with the cylinder on the BBQ.

wembley1, Oct 29, 6:41pm
The hazardous substances (dangerous goods) regulations limit LPG storage inside domestic premises to two 9 kg cylinders.

The gas regulations allow a 9 kg cylinder to be stored in a cupboard under a bench provided the cupboard meets a whole string of criteria such as: no electrical equipment; vented to the outside; rigid piping; etc. Your gasfitter will (should) know all this.

Myself, I would put it outside. If there was a fire (which might be totally unrelated to the gas) the cylinder puts a huge amount of fuel loading into your kitchen you don't really need.

sumstyle, Sep 15, 9:59am
Right, thanks that's all very helpful. The kitchen is along a concreted drive, so the pipework would have to run a wee way to get to a bottle.

I appreciate no one mocked me for asking the question - never gave much thought to the wood burner which is quite close to the kitchen in the open plan living area.