Diagnosing fridge

moby, Mar 15, 9:35pm
I have a GE "Profile" Fridge freezer that is not doing the job. Approx 16 years old, little schematic on the back shows no electronic whizzyboxes. Ran it for a couple of hours today (23C ambient temp) Fridge got down to 16C, freezer to around 2C. It is obviously doing something but just not enough. Anyone have any ideas what could the culprit be?. Sides get quite warm.

tygertung, Mar 15, 11:41pm
Maybe it has somehow lost some of the gas in the refrigerant system?

johotech, Mar 16, 8:41am
Are the fans working?

pamow69, Mar 16, 8:45pm
If compressor motor runs for a very long time and fridge only gets down to 16degC and freezer only 2deg C then it needs regassing. Should be around 2-3 deg C in fridge and -16 deg C in freezer.

msigg, Mar 23, 2:46pm
Yes as above. Buy a new one.

tegretol, Mar 23, 5:11pm
No need. Get it gassed (<$100).

moby, Mar 23, 10:28pm
Who does this in Aucks?.

tegretol, Mar 24, 2:38pm
Is Google busted out your way?

pamow69, Mar 24, 9:23pm
You won't get it regassed properly for under $100. Maybe a quick cowboy job that just pumps some gas in and it works for a month or two. To do it properly they need to spend time finding and repairing the leak, then drying out the pipes and finally putting in the refrigerant gas once they are sure the leak has gone.

tygertung, Mar 25, 8:12am
I heard from a refrigeration engineer that it is against regulations to put more gas in without first finding where the gas escaped from.

pamow69, Mar 25, 8:24pm
Probably is but there are a few cowboys around who will come to your house and pump some gas in and take your money. I knew a fridge repair guy who told me that to do it properly, he would have to take it away, Pressurise the system with some inert gas then check for leaks on joints etc. Repair the leak, then leave it overnight with a pressure gauge to check no drop in pressure. Then remove the inert gas and purge & dry the gas pipe before putting in new refrigerant gas. So, a fair bit of work and hence the higher cost and also a 12 month warranty with it.

moby, Mar 26, 10:12am
Thanks pamow69 and tygertung - confirms my suspicions and it looks like new fridge time (or less old fridge time anyway). Tegretol your comment was unhelpful - one wonders why you bothered.

kitkat66, Mar 26, 1:27pm
The best way to check a fridge is to bridge out the thermostat and test it for 24 hrs.If its good it will freeze a bottle of water over night in the fridge not the freezer. There are a few things it could be before you assume the gas is low, and could be a cheap simple repair.

tygertung, Mar 27, 8:40am
The compressor is worth saving as it can be used for making other things. Check on youtube.

intrade, Aug 7, 4:51pm
16 years is more then dead. the power a 16 year old inneficcient rated freezer uses will buy you a new unit every 5 years. It is hard to find efficient fridge freezers in new zealand when there is no law like in europe to only sell highest efficient appliences. My freezer is from farmers i think it has 3.5 stars