Plants for school gala.ideads needed!

leigh2003, Dec 26, 8:23am
Hi, put my hand up to grow some plants for our school gala in March.I love plants but haven't grown any from scratch.Looking for ideas on what to grow (including vege) and what you think would be good sellers!Thanks :)

teataiti, Dec 26, 8:27am
A good idea, I will be interested in your replies as I might do the same for our school Gala.

leigh2003, Dec 26, 8:33am
Gosh, hope I am not going to get bad karma by my spello 'ideads' when talking about growing plants!

m41, Dec 26, 11:40am
in march you need to start winter veg boccoli, cabbage, carrots, swede, parsnip, turnip, onion, broadbeans,and brussel sprouts and bokchoy . Also depends what [part of the country you are living in to be growing these

kateley, Dec 26, 7:14pm
March is a good time to be planting trees and shrubs, too.You could take cuttings (lavendar and hebes are easy).Sometimes you can find seedlings self sown among the shrubs which can be potted up for autumn planting.

littlemissy1, Dec 26, 9:19pm
I didn't even notice until you said so maybe the karma police wont either lol! Succulents and Aloe Vera are very easy to grow from small cuttings and always popular. March is the time for planting some of the winter vege's like silverbeet, cauli, beetroot, broccoli etc so punnets of those would be good. Are you going to be be growing from seed! Do you have seedling punnets or pots!

leigh2003, Dec 26, 10:00pm
Thanks for your suggestions!The fair is in March so I need to start growing now.Yes, I will be growing from seed and no, I don't have punnets or pots!Where might I find those!I am in Wellington.

littlemissy1, Dec 26, 10:06pm
If you want to keep costs down then I would suggest asking for some on freecycle.org or asksharegive.org.nz. Sometimes people will happily give away ones they have lying around and then you aren't spending good money on them.

jills3, Dec 26, 11:38pm
When I was the plant lady for the school fair,many months before fair,I used to ask people to save their yoghurt cartons, so I could use to plant the plants and they didnt use much compost.

artemis, Dec 27, 1:49am
If you pot up pieces of rengarenga root nowand keep moist they should be looking good by March. Easy to divide and pricey at the plant shop.

If asking on freecycle for pots, you could also ask for cuttings and seedlings as well. Lavender would be popular I think. Gardeners love to share!

Could also bag up seeds such as honesty and borage. Both dead easy to grow from seed. Or if you know people with either they will have seedlings and to spare.

dibble35, Dec 27, 2:00am
Swan plants (for Monarchs) they grow all year. I think, someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
Lettuce, parsley, chives, multiplying onions(herb easy to grow)

louisesamosa, Dec 27, 2:10am
On the last plant stall I manned the grasses of all colours (especially the dark reds, black dramatic varieties) and sizes were snatched up for landscaping.

dms01, Dec 27, 10:41am
I think the recycling places like trashpalace might be the place to go for some pots etc

enpointe, Dec 27, 9:58pm
I was on the school plant stall and the most popular items were the herb and vegie seedlings (all grown by the children by seed or cutting).There was less interest in landscape plants, or succulents, although we sold some.Jade plants in wee pots with a poem were very popular.We also sold herb markers as well and they were also popular.Good luck!

templeton1, Dec 27, 11:51pm
people LOVE cheap hedging, find someone who has buxus, lonicera and tuecreium (sp) take loads and loads of cuttings, strip off the lower leaves and poke in a potting mix/sand mix in individual tray or pots or one big tray for all of them (but then you need to repot to sell), keep moist and warm (glasshouse, conservatory, warm spot in garden) they will grow roots in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

kaylin, Jan 3, 10:41am
+1

Also swan plants, potted colour, native seedlings and garden ornaments made out of drift wood. Oh- liquid fertiliser made out of seaweed sold out in an hour. 20 litres of it in 2 litre bottles.