Any plumbers/handy people out there please?

clementine4, Aug 30, 1:12pm
Initial inspection shows leaking handbasin bathroom tap (cold one) needs replacing. Not the washer. Tap is an old Fynasytle tap. Has the "4 wings" around the outer of the taps for grip. Blue and red tops with letters and Fynastyle written on the cap. Wont turn off properly and fine stream of water running. Went to demolition with photo. Need to take the actual tap in though. Do I replace the tap from demo if they have suitable one or get 2 new ones? If so, any ideas. Only requiring a basic replacement. Cost effective please. What would a plumber cost please as a general guide. Thank you. PS Where to buy a tool to turn the toby off at the mains. Its ridiculously difficult to turn and I'm sure I have seen council use a long handled tool to do it. Probably purchase at a plumbing merchant I suppose. Thanks.

msigg, Aug 30, 1:29pm
Buy 2 x new taps, if your handy you can fit yourself, plumber will charge approx $150 fitting.

johotech, Aug 30, 1:51pm
Go to the hardware shop and buy some 15mm tap washers and a re-seating tool.
Watch a video

https://youtu.be/Tlhw2b06qoc?t=9

edit. there are probably better videos than this one. He doesn't really show how to use the tool very well, or how to clean out the metal before you fit the tap body.

clementine4, Aug 30, 2:59pm
Thank you. That has been covered. There is a small crack in the seat of the inner. Hence the need for a new tap.

wembley1, Aug 30, 5:28pm
I had to change a tap recently and I had problems with the toby. The valve on mine is quite deep and when I first opened the lid, it was buried in soil.

Once I hoiked all the dirt out with my gloved hand and exposed the ball valve I used a big crescent spanner (10-12") I have. I adjusted the gap to fit the handle of the valve and then used a big screwdriver through the hole at the other end of the crescent to turn the valve.

clementine4, Aug 30, 10:13pm
Great idea. Thankyou.

macman26, Aug 30, 11:42pm
Google Hydroseal. They have a thread tapping kit for fitting a new seat. It will usually work on cracks in tap seats. They also do a great tap reseating tool that goes in a cordless drill. But as was suggested previously may be time to splash for some new taps. A whole lot less hassle.

supernova2, Aug 31, 1:03pm
IMHO unless you have a selection of fittings, hemp, tread tape, etc etc it will be far better to just get a plumber and have both replaced. Basin taps at M10, Bunnings etc are not very expensive.
Just out of interest is the basin ceramic? If so about 100% chance you will smash it trying to remove the existing taps DIY.

trade4us2, Sep 3, 8:46pm
My late brother-in-law broke his handbasin, so I have always been careful to not do that. He also put nails through his hot water pipe and through his wiring. It would have been cheaper for him to hire professionals in the first place.
Eventually he fell off a ladder and died. Some people should never DIY.
He had a masters degree in Physics and Maths.

supernova2, Oct 2, 2:01pm
I have a Cousin like that. His only DIY ability is opening Whiskey bottles and sometimes he often struggles with that. He has a phd is some obscure branch of maths. Never managed the skills to drive and I don't think he ever rode a pushbike either.