Removing paint from Bricks

mrsvonflik, Feb 25, 9:23pm
Painter has over painted onto brick.
Have looked on google which said WD 40 or acetone.
Has any one had success using these.

lakeview3, Feb 25, 9:33pm
Could always try De Solv it and then scrape off? Or use a wire brush?

blueviking, Feb 26, 7:25am
Get the painter to remove it . I hope you haven't paid him.

joanie32, Feb 26, 8:26am
I’ve been removing old paint of red bricks here

Tried all sorts of things with no real success

I didn’t want to use paint stripper as it’s a very harsh chemical and there is no room at all for a mistake, getting it anywhere you don’t want it.

But I resorted to stripper and it’s doing the job very well

New paint may be a bit easier though

gusthe1, Feb 26, 8:27am
Crc do a graffiti removal spray. In an aerosol can, spray on and it sticks to brick. Wash off

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 26, 8:55am
Paint stripper and a wire brush. And it is an 'orrible job, but worth it if you like the bricks.

Which I did on a certain massive brick fireplace in a home in Marlborough, years ago.

sooperdoopa, Feb 26, 3:43pm
Brick acid should remove it easily but get the painter to do it

brouser3, Feb 26, 8:22pm
Yeah - I wonder what people will be doing in 10 or 15 years time when they want to bring those 50's brick homes back to their original look when it has been so fashionable to paint them over in the last 5 years. One thing cleaning a bit of paint off the odd brick - but a house, especially when what ever is used is probably not that environmentally friendly or even user safe.

strathview, Feb 26, 9:16pm
Could never understand the fashion of painting over bricks to modernise the outside of a home. Using brick is to create a low maintenance home. When we built the builder wanted to use timber and brick. I said were you not listening I want low maintenance as it is going to be my retirement home. He was a bit surprised but it worked out cheaper to use all brick.

sanders4, Feb 27, 10:29pm
blueviking is the only one with the right answer - get the stupid painter to sort his foolish mistake. $5 for a roll of masking tape for heavens sake

mrsvonflik, Aug 14, 6:44pm
Am getting him back to sort it.He used budget Mars king tape & it on frames of Aluminium windows & brick.I’m not impressed.He has also left lots of masking tape still stuck to windows.
I’m on to it this time as I haven’t paid.