Hungry bin worm farms

macandrosie, Aug 1, 9:52am
Has anyone purchased one? I have but in reading the startup info - it seems strange to me that you 3/4 fill it with "bedding" material to start with before adding the worms. I thought you would start with way less organic matter as don't the worms have to eat their way through that as well?

theguyz1, Aug 1, 10:10am
. yes but they also have to have sufficient matter to live in as well as to eat. 👻.

theguyz1, Aug 1, 10:36am
. btw,are using the blocks of shredded husk as the base bedding?. 👻.

lythande1, Aug 1, 1:27pm
We have a compost heap. Actually 2 of them. Oneto be worked on and one to use.
Just shifted the ready to use one, all we do is add lawn clipping and kitchen scraps to it. All scraps, citrus, onion, coffee grounds, whatever.

It was stuffed full of worms, thousands of them. And it is now lovely black crumbly soil.

That's all you need, nothing fancy.

theguyz1, Aug 1, 1:35pm
. lol,worm farms aren't fancy. just another way to process vegetable n paper waste and get concentrated solid (castings) and liquid (worm tea) fertilizer that can be used indoors and out particularly in places where someone doesn't have room for compost heaps. 👻.

exwesty, Aug 1, 1:47pm
I have two hungry bins and 6 other bins. The advantage of the hungry bins is that the worms are contained and can't run off to other food sources.

prancer3, Aug 1, 7:35pm
And also rats don't get into them which was my main reason for purchasing. I have 2 and they must be healthy as I have heaps of worms breeding. Also have given lots of worms away.

lythande1, Aug 1, 8:16pm
They are. They're an expense for something you can create yourself as I described.

theguyz1, Aug 1, 8:40pm
. except worm farms dont make compost silly,they produce fertilizer. geeze,op was just interested in worm farms. feel free to start a thread on compost if ya wish lol.

arabelle, Oct 10, 9:18am
Worm farms have tiger worms so different to the earth worm. I use the old shubs, elevated on blocks and they do a good job and give me nice soil for starting off my seedlings in spring time and repotting, .They live on 95% brown stuff, with the odd bit of green. The green and 'other' stuff goes into the compost to replenish the vege garden plots. Had them for well over 10 yrs and happy with the job they do