Replacing wooden windows with aluminium

Page 2 / 2
don735, Nov 8, 3:58pm
Mate been a tradie is been able to put the job together,using the skills you have been tought,not to fancy. hells teeth mate we eat our smoke on the floor so our familys can eat at the table,tradies love texting as spelling the word right dont matter as the message gets received the same, some people use flash words quoting this figure and that. just do the bloody job right out of your head as you no right from wrong. quoting this and quoting that emm like you said you are not in the building so lets keep it that way have a good one bro

moore., Nov 8, 10:47pm
weve just done our whole house in ali windows, wished we'd done it lyears ago. It is mostly double glazing, one or two windows arnt. but the house is soooo much warmer, and condensation has gone down , instead of towels on towels wiping windows, its just now a small wipe. so pleased

tygertung, Nov 9, 6:58am
I'm glad that it is working out for you.

Our first house had wooden window frames, single glazed. Didn't have too much problems with moisture, but our new house has single glazed aluminium window frames and they have big time condensation issues. I will change them to double glazing in the future, but there still will be the problem of the framing which is an excellent conductor of heat and therefore generates a lot of moisture as they are always cold.

The old house was much warmer than the new house, but that is to be expected.

martin11, Nov 9, 7:04am
Look at what is causing the moisture . It is normally what you are doing and your lifestyle that is causing it on the windows .

tygertung, Nov 9, 8:09am
Yes, it is caused by breathing. The moisture caused by breathing condensates on the cold surface of the aluminium window frame.

martin11, Nov 9, 11:02am
And showers and cooking . Vent your place regulary

kiwimade64, Nov 9, 11:16am
We had to replace a sash and windowsill after the house painter discovered it had rotted. Our builder carefully took it out and took it down to the local timber yard where they lasered the sill and sash for a pattern, then built us a new one. I'm sorry, can't remember the price, we were doing alterations at the same time so the price was thrown in with that. But it could be worth thinking about. You may not be too worried about the look, but any potential buyer could be. And besides, if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

tygertung, Nov 9, 11:52am
We have good extractor fans in the bathrooms and the kitchen and use them I also air out the house every day.

don735, Nov 11, 9:04pm
mate its simple as this, the inside of the home is warmer than the outside there for if there isnt a barrier build into the framing you get condensation that is why weep holes are build into the framing yep breathing and also farting mite help lift the moisture content inside the home

tygertung, Nov 12, 6:14am
Warm air will absorb more moisture than colder air before it becomes saturated. Therefore if that warm air touches a cold surface, the moisture will condensate on it.

martin11, Nov 12, 7:45am
Our house this morning is 19deg inside and outside 8 deg and damp yet there is no condensation on our D/G alloy windows .

trade4us2, Nov 12, 2:51pm
Here's my new sash on the right. It cost about $20 for the timber. Now that it's painted it is better than the other sashes made in 1859.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1433536351.jpg

bergkamp, Nov 12, 7:09pm
nice but how long did it take you?

trade4us2, Sep 10, 7:58pm
Yes a long time. That's why I won't bother doing it again.