Installing ceiling insulation bats

toyboy3, Apr 10, 4:59pm
Is it a good idea to lay the cut open plastic bags they came in on top of the laid insulation as it will stop air movement

hazelnut2, Apr 10, 5:57pm
There is always some air movement in a roof space. a good gust of wind getting under there could move the bag.I would fold it up and shove it somewhere tight in the rafters.

tony9, Apr 10, 6:33pm
I would not leave them in the roof space, they are inflammable.

Minor risk, but why take it?

tygertung, Apr 10, 7:13pm
Are they flammable, or inflammable?

U can use the bags for putting garden stuff in.

tweake, Apr 10, 7:59pm
thats not a good idea.
it won't help much with air movement anyway.

you simply do not want anything that stops moisture from going through.
if moisture hits the cold plastic (as its on the cold side of the insulation) it can condensate and soak into the insulation.

you just need to make sure insulation is well fitted, nice and snug up against the timber. the other trick is to do double layer, blanket style which reduces the amount of edges air can come up through.

toyboy3, Apr 11, 7:26am
There is a a layer of insufluff and a layer of pink batts, I am now putting a further layer of 3.2 to cover all including timber this time. I will dump the plastic bags done 3 bales yesterday another 5 to go

martin11, Apr 11, 8:06am
Just be careful if you are covering the lights some downlights overheat if you have them .

stevo2, Apr 11, 8:12am
Good plan, dump the bags. Tweake is correct with everything he said. Also, because you are increasing the depth of insulation, please ensure it doesn't touch the roof underlay. You need to keep 25mm of clearance.

hammer23, Apr 11, 9:29am
It,s a bit late now but what I found after I had melted away putting in new 3.2 ceiling batts over this last summer is that the bloody gummermint would have done it for me and and fitted a heatpump at the same time. That is the problem with being old school and being a pay as you goer. What else am I missing out on, I hear I can get cheap coffee at Mc Donalds.

joanie32, Apr 11, 10:33am
I had a quote to insulate our home and was just about to accept it when I discovered that I could get it done with 90% subsidy from government.

Once the insulation is done, I can apply for same deal on a heat pump.

This is due to the fact I live in a “low income area” apparently.

joanie04, Apr 11, 11:19am
I had the same up here. I already had a heat pump installed due to a part payment of my inheritance. I had to contribute 20% of the underfloor insulation. This I paid and just before lockdown last year they refunded the amount. When I had the roof replaced the roofers topped up where needed but I was too slow when they did the front extension. I have a little man down the road that has offered to get up there and do that for me.

toyboy3, Apr 11, 11:28am
I have just come down from the sauna using my trusty 2 prong pitch fork saves reaching into the corners, I have spent $330 and will have some leftover which I will put in the sleep out, some how I don’t think the subsidy would be that good . Next challenge is to add more insulation to the under floor .

joanie32, Apr 11, 1:26pm
The quote I got was for $5k

I’m now paying $500 and don’t have to lift a finger.

Pretty happy about that - although I think the way eligibility is determined is a joke.

hazelnut2, Apr 11, 1:41pm
Um, for wrapping garden stuff maybe, or using as cover, but to get the Batts out easily the bags need to be slit from end to end. And stand back as you do it too, they really are packed in there tight and spread far and wide when released ! It would be impossible to pull them out the way they went in!

gilligee, Aug 3, 8:49am
These two words mean the same thing, believe it or not.
English is a strange language.