Heating a tent.

Page 1 / 2
missmollymasiy, Mar 20, 8:51pm
Just wondering if there is a safe way to heat a tent please. Is there such a thing as a solar heater or what ever. Thanks

lakeview3, Mar 20, 9:16pm
Get a decent waterproof goose down sleeping bag, with a liner.

Much safer and easier.

missmollymasiy, Mar 20, 9:43pm
Thanks but just wonder if there is such a safe item/appliance just to take the chill off the air like solar powered. If not someone should invent lol

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 20, 9:48pm
Not for children, but.

https://www.skilledsurvival.com/clay-pot-candle-heater/

Watch for pop ups.

trade4us2, Mar 20, 9:49pm
Have a black tent. However in the daytime you should be getting out of the tent.

tygertung, Mar 21, 7:48am
It will depend on what environment you are in. If you are next to a power point you could use an oil column heater. You would need an extension cord and RCD.

ttaotua1, Mar 21, 9:23am
You might as well stay indoors if you want to stay warm.

annie17111, Mar 21, 9:46am
because it doesn't have any insulation the heater would be going constantly and be very expensive.
We went camping at easter and just had warm sleeping bags.
But agree with the stay inside if you want to be warm.

johnn, Mar 21, 11:34am
Solar won't work when you need it, I mean if the sun is shining on your tent then it will be warm anyway.

hazelnut2, Mar 21, 11:55am
Can you get old woollen blankets and build a blanket tent inside your tent? Insulation is what's lacking in a tent. Top, sides and floor are important heat loss sources. Can you find sheets of polystyrene to put under the tent floor. Hot water bottles lying around inside would be a safe source of warmth. It doesn't need to be over 16C inside. Wearing winter clothes helps a lot too.

wembley1, Mar 21, 4:21pm
No, no, no. Any fuel with carbon in in (like candle wax) may produce carbon monoxide which is poisonous.

If there are enough candles to heat the space, there are probably enough candles to poison it.

marte, Mar 21, 4:46pm
The warehouse sell grey foam matts used for working under cars.
They work great under a tent to insulate you from the ground & stop the moisture getting into the tent.

I used the thin foam sheeting that I got from a roofing company, they are the outer edges (sides) of the big block of closed cell foam that the manufacturer makes. The roofing company uses them as packing insulation from the load strops etc. I haven't seen them for a while.
But the warehouse & maybe Supercheap auto sell a similar item.
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/mako-anti-fatigue-foam-floor-mat/R1858506.html

missmollymasiy, Mar 21, 8:43pm
Thank you for all your input as much appreciated. Think will go with a tarp on ground first before tent, then rubber mats inside. Thanks again

lakeview3, Mar 21, 8:54pm
dont forget the quality sleeping bag. That is what really makes the difference.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 21, 8:54pm
In a sealed space perhaps. I have yet to experience that in a tent. This little thing operates on one candle.

wembley1, Mar 21, 9:24pm
You would only "experience" it once — see below.

And it you had read the article you posted, you would have seen a tea candle has a heat output of 30W — 3% of a one bar electric heater.

CO does kill people in tents —

"This review discusses the overlooked problem of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning within small tents." https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603204704743 "Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, nonirritating gas produced by the incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels. CO exposure is responsible for more fatal unintentional poisonings in the United States than any other agent, with the highest incidence occurring during the cold-weather months" https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4832a1.htm "Four people were found dead inside a tent in a wooded area in Delaware on Tuesday." https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/delaware-tent-deaths-carbon-monoxide-homeless-a9344811.html

lakeview3, Mar 21, 9:27pm
Flames and tents DO NOT go well together

lakeview3, Mar 21, 9:27pm
remember those poor guys who gassed themselves in a small hut on the west cost a few years back. Tragic

Here:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/two-dead-one-ill-from-gas-fumes-after-fishing-trip-turns-to-nightmare/CJAXFQ5YGLTTKXWCWPSBWBH7IE/

pico42, Mar 23, 9:48am
A chap I work with has a steel pipe that runs through the base of their camp fire and into their camper trailer tent. The end is in open air, not in the fire. The fire heats the air in the pipe and it rises up to the end in the tent, pushing warm air in. He says it works well.

pico42, Mar 23, 9:50am
Second battery in the car. We have one in our 4WD to run the fridge.

nicc4, Mar 23, 9:59am
I'm surprised that with all the talk about global warming, noone has offered the suggestion of a big bowl of beans before retiring to the tent.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 23, 10:13am
Must be better tents than I have ever slept inside. They all had plenty of breezes, some in fact a tad too much for mid winter in the Kaimanawas.

The candle in a pot though relies on the stored heat of the terracotta, which magnifies the effect of the candle.

But I do get your point.

I do think though, expecting a tent to be heated might be missing the point of the experience!

wembley1, Mar 23, 10:36am
First law of themodynamics — heat cannot be created. Even if all of the mighty 30W of energy from the candle was converted to a cosy radiant heat from the terracotta, it is still not going to heat anything.

(The human body radiates about 100 W).

And if your tent is draughty enough to blow away fumes then you'e not going to be able to heat it are you?

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 23, 10:55am
I agree. However, I have a friend who lives in Washington state, and who endured several power outages this past winter. One cold snowy night she tried the candle in a terracotta pot thing and found it did indeed take the edge off her cold bedroom.

Now, perhaps that was a subjective test that relied more upon perception than measurable scientific observation, but her experience was why I googled and suggested. The not for children note might have indicated that it wasn't a guaranteed solution.

Heat is perceived in different ways by different people, one man's excess is anothers comfort level, and as you well know, physical laws are subject to the vagaries of human perception.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 23, 11:02am