Stripping and painting outside windows

chezza25, Dec 23, 11:30pm
Hi,
My summer job is to repaint the outside windowsill. My question is do I need to strip the entire windowsills and around the windows, even if the paint in some places is good enough to paint straight over!

Or is it best to strip all the paint!

Thanks in advance

max.headroom, Dec 23, 11:57pm
Strip ,, and the end product looks brand new
Dont,,,,, and it wont

yorkie13, Dec 24, 4:32am
use a heat gun ( cheap enough ). sand it. put oil based primer on the bare stuff. water based primer just sits on the wood doesn't soak in.

pskpinks, Dec 25, 7:07pm
If you use a heat gun to remove paint protect the glass or it will crack.I was a little careless - once! I agree with max.headroom - the strip all option is the best way to go. Make sure you coat the underside of the sill - it often is completely devoid of paint and weather protection.

jacinda2059, Dec 27, 7:32am
if having trouble with paint peeling off native timber window sills, strip back to bare timber, then seal with alumim paint, then undercoat.

singing1, Dec 27, 9:54am
Just scrape with a Linbide scraper and sand and undercoat, sand the undercoat and the topcoat between coats ans wella,

floweringrose, Dec 27, 6:13pm
Yuck, at different times of the day u can see all the uneveness of the different coats.Better to get it all off totally and start from scratch.even taking window out to paint that top side

krames, Dec 31, 1:04pm
yes you can,It depends what finish you want,if you want a layered looking finish thats sealed from the weather and will protect the timber and look fine from a couple of meters or maybe you want to spend all day getting it back to timber for a tidy look ,depends on how much time you have and the look you want.imo