Removing small bloodstain from white t-shirt

pauline999, Feb 18, 6:52pm
Picked up grandson and got blood from his split lip on the shoulder of my t-shirt. When I got home i put some bleach on the area and chucked it in the washing machine. It has left a dark grey stain where the blood was - any idea how to remove it ? Thanks

maclad, Feb 18, 7:12pm
probably too late now you have bleached it. When I worked with Ambulance we use to use salt on blood stains. But Napisan would probably have worked too before bleaching.

jills3, Feb 18, 7:14pm
I would put about 1 cup bleach into a bucket of warm water and leave the complete t shirt in overnight. Next day rinse very well.

karrie3, Feb 23, 1:56pm
I wouldn't use any more bleach unless nothing else works and you're ready to chuck it out! Just soak overnight in your usual laundry powder and barely lukewarm water and see what it looks like tomorrow.
I find lukewarm-cold water and soap is best for blood stains. It normally cones out easily if the mark isn't too old. Don't use hot water or bleach. good luck!

kiwimade64, Feb 23, 5:02pm
too late I think. For blood stains I usually wash/soak in cold water. Don't use the dryer as it will 'set' the stain. You could try Napisan, that takes a lot of stains out.

rainrain1, Feb 23, 5:50pm
Always wash blood out in cold water, hot water sets stains. I would have wet the spot and smothered the mark all over with Wonder Soap, leaving it for a while to soak in, then rubbed the stain out by hand

rossco51, Feb 26, 1:32pm
Try using Sardie soap works a treat.

wine-o-clock, Feb 26, 2:06pm
bleach rots and yellows fabric

maclad, Feb 26, 4:11pm
T shirt fabric hates bleach

standard, Feb 26, 4:16pm
"Awesome" liquid product from The Warehouse. Brilliant for lots of things :-)

gilligee, Feb 26, 4:17pm
Sorry!
I always run fresh blood stains under warm blood temperature water and it runs straight out.

barbiedoll, Feb 26, 4:27pm
Cold water for human blood, hot water for animal blood.

colin433, Mar 2, 8:32pm
I remember that from when I went to work for a butcher in his office, over 60 years ago. I'd always known to use cold water, and there they were, scrubbing the blocks with hot water, so I opened my big mouth on my first day. Was firmly put in my place by being told they'd do their job, and I could do mine, but I DID find out that it was hot water for animal blood.

dhfan, Mar 2, 11:31pm
Your own saliva gets your own blood out, as long as it not huge amounts and you run out of saliva. Wet the area really well with the saliva of whos blood it was and rub in to the fibres until the stain is removed. Other wise cold water and a bar of soap. Wet the area really well, dip the soap in water and rub over the stain, use a finger nail to scratch it in and it will disappear. Might be too late now though if you have used bleach.

genpat, Mar 3, 4:47am
I read recently that Coca -Cola removes blood stains,dab it on and leave for a little while .Then wash as usual.I have not tried it yet.

tony473, Mar 6, 9:15pm
For bloodstains. Cold water and plain bathroom soap or sunlight(solid ones) .

..pip.., Mar 7, 4:13pm
Seriously? It's the liquid getting it out and the fact you do it straight away, not the spit. Far easier just to run it under cold water.

myboylollipop, Mar 9, 12:36pm
Should never use bleach,try just hanging it in full sun all day.

gaimon, Dec 9, 3:07am
Using bleach is fine for cotton fabrics but the mark you have been left with is probably a reaction to the fabric having polyester or something similar in it.