Bloody white fly

smallwoods, Oct 21, 7:17pm
What is a good spray to get rid of these?
Garden is sheltered/covered with wind brake and since the weekend have just be over run with these pesky little critters.

smallwoods, Oct 22, 1:32am
Did the flamethrower one time and burnt a hole in my cover. lol.

smallwoods, Oct 22, 1:33am
Was hoping for a companion plant rather than spray.

patxyz, Oct 22, 1:44am
Isnt is marigolds for whitefly?

Anyways, it probably karma for your skiting about oysters in another thread. ;p

nitpnz, Oct 22, 3:11am
somewhat edited

They are attracted to the colour yellow, so perhaps you could cut a patch of bright yellow from a glossy magazine and make a "flag" then coat it with engine oil and hang it near the infected plants.

I have seen engine oil on a homemade wooden yellow flag working, they are just washed off with hot water when it's oil gets full of flies or dusty, the oil being reapplied. good luck

smallwoods, Oct 22, 6:56am
Ouch.

patxyz, Oct 22, 11:26pm
<--- Perhaps my post needed this smilie

smallwoods, Oct 23, 3:02am

Ahh, that's better
Shhsh, thought you had it in for me, lol.

mizp, Oct 23, 9:25am
I have them in my unheated greenhouse too - I am thinking of trying 'stickies' and wondering what the difference is between the ones for whitefly/aphids and house flies are (as long as they are yellow) - anyway here are a couple of links:

Trappit Sticky Whitefly Traps - 5 Traps/Pack
NZ $16.00
http://www.smsl.co.nz/shop/Eco-friendly+%26+Natural/Trappit+Yellow+Sticky+Traps.html easy TRAP Stickies for Flying Insects $9.98 at Mitre 10
http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/garden_centre/plant_health_pest_control/easy_trap_stickies_for_flying_insects__227738/

smallwoods, Oct 23, 9:39am
Cheers, will set stickies out.

pgta, Oct 26, 8:15am
My sister swears by something yellow with vaseline smeared on it.

nitpnz, Oct 27, 12:02am
I see the "Stickies" suggestion, thumbs up for that, :-)

So I haven't time to go buy "stickies" and in desperation made a frothy ? jugful with soap from my washing machine powder, poured it over the affected pot plant, in the hope that what doesn't kill may cure .

I should be able to see the result tomorrow, will the potted strawberry plant, the aphids - and/or BOTH - be alive or dead?

Watch this space!

nitpnz, Oct 28, 12:13am
Re mess#13

The strawberry looks happy and I can't see any green passengers on it. Perhaps last night's rain washed them off. ??

arielbooks, Oct 28, 12:23am
I planted a bush called shoo fly which has purple flowers and capes like gooseberries. Seem to work and they sell sow, flowers are pretty too.

bluefrog2, Oct 29, 9:27am
While you're waiting for the marigolds to grow, try a soap spray, maybe with some neem added. Also, check that your plants are getting enough water, heat stress seems to make whitefly infestation worse.

tutifruiti, Aug 16, 12:16am
Just bought a packet from tm