Seeds growing in fruit

harrislucinda, Sep 30, 1:15pm
i have seen tomato seeds growing in the fruit
but today have got pips growing in the core of the apple is there any reason for this

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 30, 1:21pm
It's weird, because there was a farcebook post on this phenomena, which I had never encountered, just recently - and then last week I cut a Pacific Rose in half and bingo, two tiny sprouting seeds.

I blame global warming. Or John Key.

docsportello, Sep 30, 6:53pm
I grown one of those pacific rose apple-sprouted seeds into a tree. Dunno if it will ever fruit. Takes afew years from seed apparently.

punkinthefirst, Sep 30, 7:09pm
THINK!
How, in the natural scheme of things, do trees and other plants reproduce?
. By having their seeds sprout as the weather is warming up, that's how. Really, we are only lucky predators who get to eat the fruit, which is there to protect and nourish the new seeds. Our fruit these days is kept in coolstores - way longer than it would be edible in nature, so of course you can expect sprouting seeds in springtime. Its amazing there are not more of them.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 30, 7:36pm
My peach tree came from a New World flatto peach pit. The fruit so far isn't a flatto in shape, but boy it tastes good. Rather like a small golden queen. It'd be about five maybe six years from stone to young tree. It'll get its first real shaping prune this year, and I'm very proud of it!

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 30, 7:37pm
Yes, but we rarely see the seed sprouting in the fruit until it's well matured, if not rotting away.

kindajojo, Sep 30, 8:09pm
Sadly, there are an increasing number of people who believe that food only comes from a supermarket. the rest is a mystery.
Seriously how can French fries come from things that grow in the ground.
Highlights the total disconnect of people today and the lack of understanding about how the circle of life works.

ira78, Mar 15, 12:07pm
I think most botanists would argue the fruit is there to encourage animals to eat and spread the seeds. The fruit has nothing to do with nourishing the new seeds, at least not being adding a bit to the pile of poop they end up in.