What's Eating My Tomato?

russell.s.c, Jan 13, 6:42pm
Went to check out tomatoes today to find something has had a bit of a go at one of them. I haven't been able to find the culprit yet so I'm hoping I might find some guidance here. Please. :-)

https://imgur.com/a/n7CYC

dibble35, Jan 13, 7:01pm
I think its birds. usually if its caterpillars the edges are smooth.

russell.s.c, Jan 13, 7:23pm
Had wondered about birds as our plums have finished this week and the birds got their fair share. Thanks for your comment.

mark_g, Jan 13, 9:23pm
Almost definitely that ^

lythande1, Jan 14, 7:20am
Snails do that too

cantabman1, Jan 14, 7:37am
It is birds alright as I had the same thing on my first ripe Tom.
I am now picking them as they start to ripen to beat the birds, the bloody thieves.

majoba, Jan 14, 7:39am
Blackbird, I would put money on it.

veejay13, Jan 14, 9:09am
The birds have been so thirsty, up until the recent rain. As my tomatoes were ripening I put bird netting around the each truss. It's worked, as I haven't lost one tomato.

kiwimade64, Jan 15, 7:31am
lol yes! MrK spotted our first ripened tomato the other day and didn't pick it. Silly him lol, the blackbird got to it first. When they are thirsty, they will eat your tomatoes. Put some water out for the birds and cloth on the plants.

russell.s.c, Jan 15, 7:36pm
Thanks to all for yor helpful comments. A blackbird was lurking surreptitiously in the feijoa tree a couple of days ago but since I've covered Tom it hasn't been around.

We have bowls of water around but maybe they want more than just the water and Tom might help in that regard.

Got some bird netting today but hadn't thought to just do the trusses and that will leave the flowers available to the bumble bees.

gph1961, Jan 15, 8:49pm
with out doubt Mr.Blackbird
his cousin is holidaying at my place

woody89, Jan 16, 8:46am
I have an arrangement with the local bird life. If I want tomatoes, plums, strawberries etc etc, I either pick or cover, anything else is theirs. At the moment it is so hot & dry that their usual fodder such as snails, worms, grass grub etc, are all in short supply. I figure they do me a service through the year, right now they are entitled to some help- they too have families to feed!

kiwimade64, Jan 20, 10:28am
I left an orange cut in half on the bird feeding station the other day and MrK found it among the tomatoes picked clean. The blackbirds love them!

ambo11, Jan 8, 4:15pm
Bloody Blackbird. I have left water out in a few spots, they bath in that then bugger off straight to the Tomatoes and pick holes in them. So its slug gun time now for them, bloody pests.