Another of my wild ideas

Page 1 / 2
colin433, Dec 22, 9:19am
I'm sure my husband would rather be a single man, I'm always having these weird (he thinks) ideas.
I have a tiny tiny bedroom. We have moved things around and added another cupboard, so now the piece of furniture that I had beside my bed, is really in the way. I have a queen sized bed, neccessary when also acompanied by two largish canines, but it's more than long enough.
My idea is to make a box-like fiting to sit on the top of the mattress to hold all my bits and bobs, and the piece of furniture can be relegated to ?
I think I need three pieces of 150X25 for the top, back and bottom, plus a bit for the ends. How to join it all together neatly is my problem.
I believe there are little clip-like angle joiners that could be screwed to the top and bottom, then to be fastened to the back without too much problem,
but there might be a better idea.
So guys, here's your chance to show some ingenuity

gilligee, Dec 22, 9:53am
I'm with your husband on this one!

boby11, Dec 22, 9:54am
Just get a base with drawers for the bed

lythande1, Dec 22, 12:23pm
On the mattress? ! And dogs? I'd be single too.
Get a drawers under base bed instead.

articferrit, Dec 22, 5:21pm
get some plastic roll out bins for under the bed and get the dogs a dog bed of their own.

colin433, Dec 22, 8:14pm
well. thanks a bunch for the 'advice' I asked a civil question about how to join three pieces of timber and I get shit answers

meme6, Dec 22, 8:25pm
Don't take it so personally. Really your post has made my day as probably like the rest of the people reading it I had to smile. Dogs a husband all in the same bed. Perhaps you could forget about doing your own joinery. Maybe buy one of those little pieces of furniture with cane drawers to put all your bits and pieces in. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Please let us know the outcome and what you decided to do.

junie2, Dec 22, 8:54pm
A box and a piece of furniture on the mattress? At the foot end or head end, or where? How would you make your bed if there was a box on it? Not rubbishing your idea - just can't actually picture what you're thinking of.

colin433, Dec 23, 4:26am
well, for everyone's information.
It's ME, and usually ONE dog in/on a queen sized bed. The dogs gravitate between two rooms, and two queensize beds, and two 'parents'. Sometimes there is one on each bed, sometimes they double up, THAT's why the beds are queensize.
The parents sleep separately because that's what most people do when they get to late 70's and mid 80's. So now you know our personal bits. If one of us wants to read at 2am we can, without disturbing the other one.

As for the wild ideas about what and how I should solve my problem of storage of bits and bobs. I'm talking about a packet of tissues, a bed-lamp, a bottle of pills maybe, so whoever suggested a divan bed with drawers underneath is quite stupid!
However, I have solved my own problem.
With the bed being 2 metres long, and me being 150cm tall, I figured that because there is no room for a boxlike headboard, as some people have, I could have the boxlike structure on top of the mattress, able to be removed when changing the bottom sheet. (I do that occasionally you know)
However, my solution is a length of melamine board, I guess designed as a shelf, but in this case it has become the upright of a headboard, and is screwed to the side of the new LARGE cupboard at the head of the bed.
YES, at the head of the bed, so my bed is not on a wall at the top end, it is partway down the wall, and the reason for that is, that although I could have had that cupboard at the bottom of the bed, I also need to provide a 'step' in the form of a plastic container, to enable one dog with a back problem, to get up onto said bed. That step, is at the bottom of the bed, alongside the wall. If the bed was positioned so that I slept at what is now the BOTTOM, that container would be stuck out into the middle of the room, just right for a dear old lady to fall over in the night (maybe)!
So back to my solution. I have the 'shelf' fitted in an upright position, to the cupboard, and to that I have a floating shelf, so I didn't need to make a 'box' to sit on the mattress. I can make the bed without removing anything off it. AND I'M HAPPY.
Would you by any chance like a photo? Well ya ain't getting one!

BTW the bedrom is 3.5mX3m, so I don't have a lot of space to work with. There is a bank of wardrobes and cupboars on the wall opposite the bed.
Now I have solved my problem I'm totally happy with the result.

I'm sure any of you with a grain of intelligence will see that now I've written a book to explain it all.

serendipity55, Dec 23, 10:03am
good on you and stop using colin`s account too!

amasser, Dec 23, 10:36am
Dogs should not be on your bed. Put them outside. Get rid of (recent) cupboard and surplus stuff. Simplify rather than adding to the furniture.

colin433, Dec 23, 1:30pm
It's not Colin's account, it might be a man's name, but the man in this house does not know how to even turn on a computer, so but out of something that doesn't concern you

colin433, Dec 23, 1:35pm
FYI the new cupboars replaces an older tatty looking piece of furniture in a ghasty brown, while the new one is pristine white. You can butt out too, I asked for advice in how to join three pieces of timber neatly, not on how to arrange my room, I'm quite capable of doing that. In the past I have built a deck with pergola over, and laid 200 cobblestones for a courtyard, so i'm not just a silly female. I can also point a concrete block wall, something that a lot of men have no idea how to do, and I can do many other handyman things as well, I just wanted to do something where screws etc did not show on the outside. It seems I knew better than my 'betters'

articferrit, Dec 23, 5:08pm
sorry, I thought you had the sort of stuff which collects on the bedside cabinet and just accumulates, if you had a pull out flat bin on wheels you could just push it under the bed and out of the way when you turn the light out and get it out the next night when you went to bed and get your tissues, hand cream or book. I didnt allow for a lamp, and suggesting you got the dog its own bed wasnt being a smarta--e, if it has a sore back wouldnt it save having to make allowances for it to get on your bed and it would have a comfortable place to sleep any time of the day or night?. Sorry you were offended and Im glad you are happy with your solution.

colin433, Dec 23, 5:36pm
articferrit
the reason for making what I've made was to get rid of stuff off the floor, not make more so the dog could sleep down there and after the time she's spend ON the bed, I doubt she'd be happy beside the bed, especially if I had to fall over her to get out ot bed.
As for pushing stuff UNDER the bed. Impossible. We made our own beds, to my design, and they have three compartments between the top and bottom, with specially fitted lidded boxes that hold stuff that is needed, but not often.
Our house is just under 60sm, so you can see, we need to make use of evry bit of available space.
Plus, with polymyalgiarheumatica, I have no strenght in my arms to push anything anywhere unless I'm immediately behind it, so by the time I got out of bed to push something somewhere, I'd be wide awake and picking up my book again.
I knew what I wanted, I got it, with a couple of adjustments to the original plan, I'm happy, end of story

colin433, Dec 23, 5:37pm
this simple little question seems to have generated a lot of interest and advice. People must be on holiday for the Christmas period

sunnysue1, Dec 23, 6:27pm
Dam. I wanted a photo! Lol Happy Christmas to you and Colin

samanya, Dec 23, 6:45pm
"another of my wild ideas" . good for you!
Wild ideas stop dementia (my theory)
I can't help with this particular wild idea . but you just keep on having them, way better than stagnating on a couch in front of the TV

sue193, Dec 23, 6:55pm
Bahahaha.

maclad, Dec 23, 6:59pm
I think that comment was attempted humor. least that is how I saw it, was funny.

samanya, Dec 23, 7:10pm
Um . I was serious (semi)
Stop exercising the brain & we all know what happens . don't we?

colin433, Dec 23, 7:50pm
I'll jist make one more comment, and that is that it wasn't 200 cobblestones that I laid, it was 2000.
And the man of the house soon learnt that he had a woman who knew a thing or two when I bought my father's trailer and built a horsebox on top of it. From then on I was away, building stuff as I needed it. A stable, and other stuff that I can;'t thinkof now, nearly 60 years later.
I also broke in horses, had an antique gig, I won first prize at the second Ellerslie Flower show, I had my name on my door in an accountant's office, I was a caterer (self employed) in three different businesses, so I'm no slouch, and wont be dictated to, I know what I want, and I know how to get it.
Just sometimes I ask for confirmation of how I might best go about doing something

wheelz, Dec 24, 7:22pm
Best read all day!
Bless you colin433. you go girl!

mrfxit, Dec 25, 12:18pm
LMAO, no worrys at all.
I can picture exactly what the OP whats but personally I am with the long suffering husband (& the other posters) on this 1.

wendalls, Dec 27, 5:15pm
Well I'm with the OP for sorting out exactly what she needs. What a cheek of other posters to tell her otherwise. lack of imagination, boring old farts.