Some ideas please.

thistle4, Feb 2, 8:35pm
Our neighbour is putting up a 2 metre fence (starting Thursday). I don't really want to look at a boring wooden fence, so need ideas on what to plant to screen it. It will have to be plants in pots, as I won't be allowed to grow things (like clematis) against the fence. The fence will range from sun to shade along its length (50 mtrs)

budgel, Feb 2, 8:50pm
Why wont you be allowed to grow things against the fence?
Even if the neighbour pays for it all, it is still yours on your side.

Pittosporums of which there are many varieties can be planted about 300mm out from the fence and will reach the height of it in a few years and can be easily pruned. If you dont mind annual cutting back, hydrangeas once established look after themselves. I have some growing in an 800mm gap between a path and a wooden fence. I would grow tomatoes in the sunny spots, grow them up a rope.

lilyfield, Feb 3, 3:46am
or you could hang pots and garden art of the fence, even have a mural painted on it.

sunflowers in the summer

bluefrog2, Feb 4, 1:14am
It's usual to dig a planting bed along a fence and plant shrubs to "soften" the view. Makes it difficult to repaint the fence, but if you're not worried about that, why not put in whatever plants you always wanted to have, but didn't have space for? If you can't dig a bed, then have raised planter boxes.
Right now, I wish I had more space to plant roses. Or even a row of redcurrant bushes for jam.

thistle4, Feb 4, 4:06am
Roses, now there's an idea. I don't have any roses in the garden. Might be the time to start growing some. I have red and black currants in the main garden.

amasser, Feb 7, 11:10pm
budgel - because any vegetation growing against the fence will accelerate rotting, even with treated timber. Likewise, building a garden against it and, as the neighbour is paying for it (presumably), it's his call.

fantail8, Mar 27, 8:55am
If it is on the boundary you can do what you like on your side. Were you consulted at all or did the fence just go up? Either way your side your choice, especially if nothing discussed prior to fence erection

rainrain1, Mar 27, 7:00pm
fuchsia don't mind a bit of shade

wheelz, Mar 27, 11:13pm
It's up to you if and what you plant along the fence, whether you contributed to the cost or not. Just be aware, that if you plant climbers, they are entitled to prune off any that climbs through.
We have 6 foot fence that none of our 5 neighbours contributed towards, although get the benefit from. One dickhead piles his lawn clippings against it. don't do this! The other lot aren't gardeners, so let their weeds poke and seed thru into my gardens. which peeves me off no end!
Enjoy your planting!
If you want climbers like sweet peas, clematis etc, just put up some trellis, whether it be that plastic stuff or wooden. If it is held away from the fence, it is easy to prune or wind tendrils so they stay your side, and you won't have the whole climber fall off, if your neighbour decides to prune your climber on his side.

nonumbers, Mar 28, 10:52pm
I like the idea of a mural - cat themed, of course and if it's painted higher rather lower it'll look like the cats are playing on any plants you put in.
Are you sure of the boundary line - It wouldn't be the first time a little land grabbing has occurred . . .
Good luck

thistle4, Mar 30, 9:28pm
I am slowly getting used to the fence. At it's highest it is 3 metres and is very 'in your face'. We are putting wall decorations on the fence (butterflies, plaques etc) and that helps and shrubs along the bottom bring the eyes down too. Where the fence is at its highest we are going to put a sheet of bright red colorsteel horizontally and build a large planter under it. Not attached to the fence but to a frame. We are going to plant assorted grasses in the planter as it is in a very dry spot.

maghera, Mar 31, 7:32am
Planning permission is required if erecting a boundary fence more than 2 high.

happychappy50, Mar 31, 7:41am
I espaliered bougainvilleas against mine in Oz as it was all nth facing,depending on the position & area why not try camellias,most varieties espalier ok,maybe something else that would suit your area,ask @ your local nursery

susieq9, Mar 31, 8:18am
We have bougainvilleas. Have different coloured ones and they look great. Passionfruit is another good one.

pico42, Mar 31, 8:37am
In which cities or districts?

thistle4, Mar 31, 8:27pm
The fence is 2 mtrs high on the neighbours side but because of sloping ground it's higher on our side.

via356, Feb 17, 12:46pm
If it helps, one of our neighbours also did this, and then also planted their side. Our side is also planted, and the fence isn't rotting, and it's been about 15 years now, maybe more. If it were me, I'd be espaliering some fruit trees maybe.