Hedge

blink182_tkom, Sep 27, 9:46am
Help - i have no idea about hedge's - I live in Dunedin, can someone link to something fast growing I can buy?

lythande1, Sep 27, 3:57pm

samanya, Sep 27, 7:05pm
How high do you want it to grow?
Lythandes link give a few good options, but the faster they grow, the more clipping they need.

dollydot, Oct 3, 6:46pm
We've just removed over grown hedging along our front boundary and are also looking at options. Have pretty much decided on Westringia grey box as we want a low growing one this time (50cms). We have box hedging elsewhere which looks great but is slow growing and I'm concerned it will get the disease that is gradually affecting box hedging elsewhwere. Was considering Lonicera (Poor Mans box) as it grows so fast but was put off by the garden advisor at Palmers who said it would need trimming about 6 times a year! No time for that often.

There is lots to google to get the look and function you require, tall, compact, for shelter or privacy etc. Also look around your neighbourhood at what you like the look of and what seems to do well in your area. Here north of Wellington we need something reasonably wind resistant.Taller mauve Westringia already do well here so we're going for a shorter white flowering one.

wfl1, Oct 3, 10:22pm
Karo - fast growing, hardy native, disease resistant. Can be trimmed back hard ,makes a attractive hedge.

tangerina, Oct 7, 9:59am
Olearia make great hedges for the Dunedin area. Ask at the garden centre for the best variety. Syzygium hedmaster is a favourite in Auckland as it grows very fast, but not sure if it grows in Dunedin. Possibly does.

rita197, Mar 12, 8:50pm
Pittosporum 'Mountain Green' is a good hedge plant and grows quickly to a good hedge height