Mulch from hedge?

clothesman, Sep 9, 1:02am
Hi, I'm about to rip out an old straggly pittosporum hedge so we can get in to rebuild the deck behind it.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/408891084.jpg

If I chip the hedge will it make good mulch for the garden and/or compost bin? Or should I just get rid of it fullstop? I'm getting an arborist anyway to get rid of two trees so maybe they could do the hedge too.

Cheers.

lythande1, Sep 9, 1:52am
Yes you can use it as mulch.

jenny188, Sep 10, 2:54am
You pic shows that the plants are quiet " woody or stringy". They will provide a good source of fiber for mulch. The leaves however are slightly bitter, so mulch or compost will benefit from a side dressing of lime. it makes sense to have the Arborist mulch the 2 trees( of their small branches and leaves) and hedge at the same time, if the cost is not prohibitive. .

clothesman, Sep 11, 8:34am
Thanks for the advice. The trees are cabbage trees so I don't think there'll be much mulching of them happening!

macandrosie, Sep 11, 8:47am
It should be fine as a mulch. It may take time to break down but if you put it in with your compost heap along with lawn clippings etc & a handful or 2 of blood & bone every so often it will break down. I would love a mulcher as I have a big garden but I want a grunty one! I like my power tools!

summersunnz, Oct 3, 12:54am
+1. and me too. my latest purchase is a concrete mixer - can't wait to use it for a range of jobs in my garden :-)